Solving Complex Quadratic Equations with Imaginary Coefficients

In summary, the extra qiz is really annoying me, but I was able to solve the z^2 + 3z+4iz-1+5i=0 and (z+2i)^2+3z-5+5i=0 equations using the quadratic formula. The real and imaginary parts of z must be zero at the same time, but I was able to solve the equation for x and yi by taking the root out of ((p/2)^2-q)^(1/2). Finally, I added the two equations and got the correct answer.
Wi_N
Thread moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
ok having major problems. i can easily solve z^2 + pz +a+bi=0 solutions but that extra qiz is really annoying me.

z^2 + 3z+4iz-1+5i=0

(z+2i)^2+3z-5+5i=0
z+2i = w, z=w-2i

w=-3(w-2i)+5-5i

then I am not getting anything sensible for solving x and yi. what am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The real and imaginary parts need to be zero at the same time ... simultaneous equations.
If z is complex, then put z = a+ib.

Simon Bridge said:
The real and imaginary parts need to be zero at the same time ... simultaneous equations.
If z is complex, then put z = a+ib.

that doesn't give any answers.

Wi_N said:
ok having major problems. i can easily solve z^2 + pz +a+bi=0 solutions but that extra qiz is really annoying me.

z^2 + 3z+4iz-1+5i=0

(z+2i)^2+3z-5+5i=0
z+2i = w, z=w-2i

w=-3(w-2i)+5-5i

then I am not getting anything sensible for solving x and yi. what am i doing wrong?

Just use the quadratic formula on the equation ##z^2 + (3+4i) z +(5i-1) = 0.## This has the form ##z^2 + bz + c=0##, with ##b = 3+4i## and ##c = 5i-1##. The only real complication is that the discriminant ##b^2 - 4 a c## can be complex---it equals ##-3 + 4i## in your case---so you need to be able to take square roots of complex numbers.

Likes FactChecker and Wi_N
nevermind. got it. thanks a lot.

Great! What did you end up doing?

Likes Wi_N
Simon Bridge said:
Great! What did you end up doing?

basically took the root out of ((p/2)^2-q)^(1/2)

(p/2)^2-q = x+iy

(a+bi)(a+bi)=(x+iy)

a^2-b^2=x (if x is positive a^2>b^2 if not b^2>a^2)
2abi=iy = > 2b=y (if y is positive then a and b both must either be negative or positive, if y is negative then either x or y has to be negative or vice versa and the other positive)

this way you can figure out your roots which will always be 2 roots since its a z^2 equation.

then just add. z=(p/2)+-(x+iy)

Last edited:
Wi_N said:
basically took the root out of ((p/2)^2-q)^(1/2)

(p/2)^2-q = x+iy

(a+bi)(a+bi)=(x+iy)

a^2-b^2=x (if x is positive a^2>b^2 if not b^2>a^2)
2abi=iy = > 2b=y (if y is positive then a and b both must either be negative or positive, if y is negative then either x or y has to be negative or vice versa and the other positive)

this way you can figure out your roots which will always be 2 roots since its a z^2 equation.

then just add. z=(p/2)+-(x+iy)

Please write down the final solutions (to your numerical example) explicitly. We cannot tell if you have made an error if you will not show us what you got.

Likes Wi_N
Ray Vickson said:
Please write down the final solutions (to your numerical example) explicitly. We cannot tell if you have made an error if you will not show us what you got.
no worries got the right answer. thanks.

1. What is the general method for solving z^2+pz+qiz+a+bi=0?

The general method for solving this type of equation is to use the quadratic formula, which is
z = (-p ± √(p^2 - 4qi(a+bi))) / 2

2. How do you determine the values of p and q in the equation z^2+pz+qiz+a+bi=0?

The values of p and q can be determined by comparing the given equation with the standard form of a quadratic equation, which is
az^2 + bz + c = 0.
In this case, p = b and qi = 2a.

3. Can the equation z^2+pz+qiz+a+bi=0 have complex solutions?

Yes, this equation can have complex solutions. The presence of the imaginary unit i in the equation indicates that the solutions may involve complex numbers.

4. What are the possible number of solutions for z^2+pz+qiz+a+bi=0?

There can be two, one, or zero solutions for this equation, depending on the value of the discriminant (p^2 - 4qi(a+bi)).
If the discriminant is positive, there are two real solutions.
If the discriminant is zero, there is one real solution.
If the discriminant is negative, there are no real solutions and the solutions will involve complex numbers.

5. Can the values of p, q, a, and b be any real numbers in the equation z^2+pz+qiz+a+bi=0?

Yes, the values of p, q, a, and b can be any real numbers. This equation is a general form of a quadratic equation and can have various combinations of real numbers as coefficients.