Solving Complex Diff EQ: z'(t) = az(t) Explanation & Books

• Thread starter BrainHurts
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the differential equation z' = az where a = \alpha + i \beta and comparing two methods of solving it. The first method involves splitting z into its real and complex parts, while the second method involves using Euler's formula. The justification for using the separation of variables in the first method is discussed, with the conclusion that it can be justified by choosing the principal value for the logarithm function. The conversation also touches on the definition of the complex logarithm and its relation to real variables.
BrainHurts
So [itex]z'(t) = x'(t) + i y'(t)[/itex], I just want to make sure that what I'm going to do is OK. I'm trying to solve [itex]z' = az [/itex] where [itex]a = \alpha + i \beta [/itex]

[itex] z'(t) = az(t) \Rightarrow x'(t) + iy'(t) = a(x(t) + iy(t)) \Rightarrow x'(t) = a x(t), y'(t) = a y(t) [/itex]

If you could give me a justification that'll be nice. I feel like what I'm doing is instinctual rather than "I'm following the rules" if that makes any sense.

I mean I've already broken this into the system

[itex] \begin{pmatrix} x' \\ y' \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} \alpha & -\beta\\ \beta & \alpha \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} x \\ y \end{pmatrix} [/itex]

and I know what the general solution looks like here. I'm just trying to compare the two methods. I'm taking an introductory course in Dynamical Systems. Also any suggested books that discusses Solving Differential equations with complex variables will be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
BrainHurts said:
So [itex]z'(t) = x'(t) + i y'(t)[/itex], I just want to make sure that what I'm going to do is OK. I'm trying to solve [itex]z' = az [/itex] where [itex]a = \alpha + i \beta [/itex]

[itex] z'(t) = az(t) \Rightarrow x'(t) + iy'(t) = a(x(t) + iy(t)) \Rightarrow x'(t) = a x(t), y'(t) = a y(t) [/itex]

If you could give me a justification that'll be nice. I feel like what I'm doing is instinctual rather than "I'm following the rules" if that makes any sense.

I mean I've already broken this into the system

[itex] \begin{pmatrix} x' \\ y' \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} \alpha & -\beta\\ \beta & \alpha \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} x \\ y \end{pmatrix} [/itex]

and I know what the general solution looks like here. I'm just trying to compare the two methods. I'm taking an introductory course in Dynamical Systems. Also any suggested books that discusses Solving Differential equations with complex variables will be great.
Is there some reason you can't solve this directly?

If z' = az, then all solutions are given by z = Keat.

Rules for differential equations usually extend to the complex plane. You don't need to split z into its real and complex parts. If you really want to, you could split the solution into a real and a complex part using Euler's formula.

Mark44 said:
Is there some reason you can't solve this directly?

If z' = az, then all solutions are given by z = Keat.

By directly do you mean separation of variables? [itex] \dfrac{dz}{z} = a dt [/itex]. First we need to define complex integration which would require line integration. I think that's what you mean right? Thing is, antiderivatives are a little more trickier in [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex] than they are with straight up real valued functions. If someone could elaborate on this more that'll be great. I guess what I'm trying to say is, how does one justify the separation of variables, since log(z) is multivalued?

I mean you do get [itex]z(t) = z_0 e^{a t}[/itex] when you solve [itex]x' = ax, y'= ay[/itex]. I'm just trying to justify this all.

Bigfoot I don't understand what you mean?

I mean suppose we don't know that [itex]z(t) = z_0 e^{at}[/itex], what do you mean by euler's formula? Do you mean let [itex]z=re^{i \theta}[/itex]?

BrainHurts said:
By directly do you mean separation of variables? [itex] \dfrac{dz}{z} = a dt [/itex]. First we need to define complex integration which would require line integration. I think that's what you mean right? Thing is, antiderivatives are a little more trickier in [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex] than they are with straight up real valued functions. If someone could elaborate on this more that'll be great. I guess what I'm trying to say is, how does one justify the separation of variables, since log(z) is multivalued?

I mean you do get [itex]z(t) = z_0 e^{a t}[/itex] when you solve [itex]x' = ax, y'= ay[/itex]. I'm just trying to justify this all.
If z(t) = z0eat, it's easy to verify that z' = az, which should be a reasonable justification that z(t) is a solution of the diff. equation. As far as the ln function having multiple values when the argument is complex, you can choose the principal value.
BrainHurts said:
Bigfoot I don't understand what you mean?

I mean suppose we don't know that [itex]z(t) = z_0 e^{at}[/itex], what do you mean by euler's formula? Do you mean let [itex]z=re^{i \theta}[/itex]?
##e^{at} = e^{(\alpha + i\beta) t} = e^{\alpha t} \cdot e^{i \beta t} = e^{\alpha t}(cos(\beta t) + i sin(\beta t)##. I believe that's what @bigfooted was referring to.

Thanks Mark, shortly after I saw that I did the work and Now I'm convinced x' = ax and y' = ay is now justified.

Now suppose we chose the principal value log, will that then justify the separation of variables? I feel like what I'm about to do is a little naive, but let's give it a shot

[itex] \displaystyle{\int \dfrac{dz}{z}} = Log (z) = \ln r + i \Theta [/itex]

So here's where I'm at

[itex] \displaystyle{\int \dfrac{dz}{z}} = \int a dt \Rightarrow Log(z) = at + C [/itex] , let [itex]z = re^{i\theta}, C = x_0 + iy_0[/itex]

[itex] \ln r + i\Theta = at + C = (\alpha + i \beta)t + x_0 + iy_0[/itex]

So

[itex] \ln r = \alpha t + x_0 \Rightarrow r = e^{\alpha t + x_0}, \Theta = \beta t + y_0[/itex]

[itex] z = e^{\alpha t + x_0}e^{i(\beta t + y_0)} = e^{x_0 + iy_0} e^{(\alpha +i \beta)t} = z_0 e^{a t} [/itex]

I suppose I get what I want if I reduce the argument to the principal value. In other words, I may justify separation of variables almost.

Not my area of expertise, but here it goes:
the complex logarithm is defined as [itex]Log(z)=\ln r + i\theta = \ln |z| + i \arg z[/itex].
Now let's show that some results 'look' the same in complex and real variables:
[itex] e^{Log z} = e^{\ln |z| + i \arg z} = e^{\ln |z|} e^{i \arg z} = |z|e^{i \arg z}=z[/itex]

OK. We'll need that later.

So we know that [itex]e^{Log z} = z[/itex]. Now let's take the derivative on both sides:
[itex](e^{Log z})' = (z)'[/itex]
[itex]e^{Log z}\cdot(Log z)' = 1[/itex]
So [itex](Log z)' = \frac{1}{e^{Log z}} = \frac{1}{z}[/itex]

so: [itex]\int {\frac{1}{z}dz} = Log z[/itex]

The derivative of a complex exponential can be derived in a similar way:
[itex](e^{zt})' = ze^{zt}[/itex]

You can now find the solution of the ODE [itex]z'=\alpha z[/itex]

Yeah that looks better!

1. What is a complex differential equation?

A complex differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a function of a complex variable and its derivatives. It is used to model complex phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, and biology.

2. How is z'(t) = az(t) solved?

This complex differential equation can be solved by using techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors. The solution will depend on the value of the constant a and the initial conditions of the problem.

3. What does z'(t) = az(t) represent?

This complex differential equation represents the rate of change of a complex variable z with respect to time t. The constant a represents the growth or decay rate of z(t) over time.

4. What are some useful books for solving complex differential equations?

Some useful books for solving complex differential equations include "Complex Variables and Applications" by James Ward Brown and Ruel V. Churchill, "Ordinary Differential Equations" by Morris Tenenbaum and Harry Pollard, and "Introduction to Partial Differential Equations" by David Borthwick.

5. How can I apply complex differential equations in real-world problems?

Complex differential equations can be applied in various real-world problems such as modeling population growth, analyzing electrical circuits, and understanding chemical reactions. They can also be used in fields like economics, meteorology, and fluid dynamics to make predictions and solve complex problems.