1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some advice about college

1. Apr 24, 2013 #1
    First, I'm new here and I want to introduce myself - I'm geophysics student from Croatia, and I have a few questions that's been bothering me for a while now.

First two years of college are the same for geophysics and physics - we go to same class. Then in third year we choose where we will go. I selected geophysics. Mostly because I was sooo bored at regular physics. And there is a problem. Now I'm not sure I made a good decision. I like reading about particle physics and quantum physics, but I don't like mathematics behind all that. But at them same time I feel like I'm missing on all those "how the universe works" things from physics.

But then again - I like geophysics, I like working on field, working with instruments, setting up instruments. From all jobs I can imagine, geophysics is the best for me.

3rd thing - Next year I will get my bachelor's degree, and I thought about finding a job. At the moment I don't feel like continuing to master's degree.

I don't know, I just want some advice, your stories... Something that will help clear all this mess in my head :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2013 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Core
    core.png

(With mouseover: If you're a geologist or geophysicist and you don't introduce yourself by saying your name, then gesturing downward and saying "... and I study that", I don't know what you're doing with your life.)

[http://www.xkcd.com/913/]

4. Apr 24, 2013 #3
    Thank you very much, this was really polite and helpful post.

5. Apr 24, 2013 #4

FlexGunship

Gold Member

Once you graduate, always introduce yourself by saying your name, then gesturing downward and saying "... and I study that."

6. Apr 24, 2013 #5
    I seriously don't understand this answer. I haven't yet graduated. And what is this gesturing downward??

7. Apr 24, 2013 #6

FlexGunship

Gold Member

To "gesture downward" is to point down (i.e. towards the Earth).

8. Apr 24, 2013 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook