Choosing Between Physics and Geophysics: Finding the Right Path for Your Career

• Schools
  • Thread starter GhostLoveScore
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, the conversation is about a geophysics student from Croatia who is questioning their decision to choose geophysics over regular physics. They enjoy working on field and with instruments, but are also interested in particle physics and quantum physics. They are unsure about continuing to a master's degree and are seeking advice and stories from others in the field. The conversation also includes a reference to a humorous comic about introducing oneself as a geologist or geophysicist.
GhostLoveScore
First, I'm new here and I want to introduce myself - I'm geophysics student from Croatia, and I have a few questions that's been bothering me for a while now.

First two years of college are the same for geophysics and physics - we go to same class. Then in third year we choose where we will go. I selected geophysics. Mostly because I was sooo bored at regular physics. And there is a problem. Now I'm not sure I made a good decision. I like reading about particle physics and quantum physics, but I don't like mathematics behind all that. But at them same time I feel like I'm missing on all those "how the universe works" things from physics.

But then again - I like geophysics, I like working on field, working with instruments, setting up instruments. From all jobs I can imagine, geophysics is the best for me.

3rd thing - Next year I will get my bachelor's degree, and I thought about finding a job. At the moment I don't feel like continuing to master's degree.

I don't know, I just want some advice, your stories... Something that will help clear all this mess in my head :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Core
core.png

(With mouseover: If you're a geologist or geophysicist and you don't introduce yourself by saying your name, then gesturing downward and saying "... and I study that", I don't know what you're doing with your life.)

[http://www.xkcd.com/913/]

Thank you very much, this was really polite and helpful post.

GhostLoveScore said:
[...] I don't know, I just want some advice [...]

Once you graduate, always introduce yourself by saying your name, then gesturing downward and saying "... and I study that."

FlexGunship said:
Once you graduate, always introduce yourself by saying your name, then gesturing downward and saying "... and I study that."

I seriously don't understand this answer. I haven't yet graduated. And what is this gesturing downward??

GhostLoveScore said:
I seriously don't understand this answer. I haven't yet graduated. And what is this gesturing downward??

To "gesture downward" is to point down (i.e. towards the Earth).

Oh, I see :smile:

What is the importance of choosing the right college?

Choosing the right college is crucial because it can greatly impact your academic and professional future. It can determine the quality of education you receive, the opportunities available to you, and the network of peers and professionals you will be connected to.

How do I know which college is the best fit for me?

To determine which college is the best fit for you, consider factors such as your academic interests, location preferences, financial situation, and campus culture. Research and visit different colleges to get a better understanding of their programs, resources, and environment.

Is it important to get involved in extracurricular activities in college?

Yes, getting involved in extracurricular activities can enhance your college experience and provide valuable skills and connections. It can also help you stand out in the job market and make the most out of your college years.

What is the significance of internships and internships?

Internships and internships are important because they provide hands-on experience in your field of study and allow you to apply the knowledge and skills learned in the classroom. They also provide networking opportunities and can lead to job offers after graduation.

How can I make the most out of my college education?

To make the most out of your college education, it is important to stay organized, manage your time effectively, attend classes and participate actively, seek help when needed, and take advantage of resources and opportunities offered by the college. It is also important to maintain a balance between academics, extracurricular activities, and personal life.