1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some advice/ book suggestions needed

1. Oct 30, 2005 #1
    I am a physics major but i do want to also major in analysis and calculus. But ihav always had difficulties with the proofs involved (not unlike many of my friends). Although i learn the threorems and axioms it is always so hard for me to really apply them, especially the delta epsilon proofs. I know a lot of proofs - convergence, limits, sup and inf - involve those kind of proofs. Is there a book(s) i can perhaps look into the helping me master the technique?
    I have a strong interest in mathematics and i do want to perhaps do mathematical physics since many discoveries i have read of involve calculus theorems that are generally not taught in the undergrad level. (although my knowledge of course content in grad courses is minimal)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2005 #2
    If you did well in calc 1,2,3 then I would say to try and squeeze in an "intro to analysis class" if you can. You will learn a lot about proofs, some schools call it advanced calculus. As for books I would check out:

elementary analysis: the theory of calculus, by Ken Ross
    foundations of mathematical analysis, by johnsonbaugh and pfaffenberger

If you really want a challenge check out
    Principles of mathematical analysis, by walter rudin

If you find those books are still to easy get
    Measure and Integral by Wheeden and Zygmund

If you get any of these book start from the begining and learn the theorems. I mean learn them inside and out and know what they mean in regular words, dont just memorize the symbols.
    When you think you know a theorem try to prove it without looking at the book, thats how I taught my self how to do analysis and now Im a beast.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?