1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some angular momentum problems

1. Mar 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. A spaceship is rotating about its longitudinal axis at 6 rev/min. The occupants wish to stop this rotation. They have small jets mounted tangentially, at a distance R=4m from the axis and can eject 10 g/s if gas from each jet with a nozzle velocity of 800 m/s. For how long must they turn on these jets to stop of the rotation ? The rotational inertia of the ship around its axis (assumed to be constant) is 4000 kg*m^2

2. True or false: If the net torque on a rotating system is zero, the angular velocity of the system cannot change.

2. Relevant equations

Torque=dL/dt

3. The attempt at a solution

1. Can anyone suggests me how to this problem ?

2. I know it's false. I try to explain by using dL/dt=0 since net torque is zero. Thus, d (I*w)/dt=0. Thus I* dw/dt + w*dI/dt=0. Since dI/dt= 0, I*dw/dt must be 0 so I can be 0 also, not necessarily dw/dt must be 0. However, my teacher said it's wrong. How do I fix it ??

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

4. Mar 4, 2009 #3
    1. I have 1 equation Torque= I*alpha but I have 2 unknowns, Torque and alpha so how do I solve for alpha ?

How about the conceptual question ?

5. Mar 4, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Can't you figure the Force and the distance from the center of rotation - the moment arm?

6. Mar 4, 2009 #5
    oh yeah, I forgot it. T=F*lever arm.

How about the conceptual question ?

7. Mar 4, 2009 #6

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook