Some angular momentum problems

In summary, the occupants of a rotating spaceship with a rotational inertia of 4000 kg*m^2 can use small jets mounted 4m from the axis to eject 10 g/s of gas with a nozzle velocity of 800 m/s to stop the rotation. To determine the torque, the equation T = I * α can be used, and the force and distance from the center of rotation can be used to find the moment arm. The statement "If the net torque on a rotating system is zero, the angular velocity of the system cannot change" is false, as torque can still be created even with a net torque of zero. To solve for α, the force and moment arm can be used in the equation T = I *
nns91

Homework Statement

1. A spaceship is rotating about its longitudinal axis at 6 rev/min. The occupants wish to stop this rotation. They have small jets mounted tangentially, at a distance R=4m from the axis and can eject 10 g/s if gas from each jet with a nozzle velocity of 800 m/s. For how long must they turn on these jets to stop of the rotation ? The rotational inertia of the ship around its axis (assumed to be constant) is 4000 kg*m^2

2. True or false: If the net torque on a rotating system is zero, the angular velocity of the system cannot change.

Homework Equations

Torque=dL/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Can anyone suggests me how to this problem ?

2. I know it's false. I try to explain by using dL/dt=0 since net torque is zero. Thus, d (I*w)/dt=0. Thus I* dw/dt + w*dI/dt=0. Since dI/dt= 0, I*dw/dt must be 0 so I can be 0 also, not necessarily dw/dt must be 0. However, my teacher said it's wrong. How do I fix it ??

Physics news on Phys.org
1. I have 1 equation Torque= I*alpha but I have 2 unknowns, Torque and alpha so how do I solve for alpha ?

How about the conceptual question ?

nns91 said:
1. I have 1 equation Torque= I*alpha but I have 2 unknowns, Torque and alpha so how do I solve for alpha ?

Can't you figure the Force and the distance from the center of rotation - the moment arm?

oh yeah, I forgot it. T=F*lever arm.

nns91 said:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a fundamental physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that it remains constant unless an external torque is applied. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum.

3. How is angular momentum related to torque?

Angular momentum is directly proportional to torque. This means that increasing the torque applied to an object will result in a corresponding increase in its angular momentum.

4. What are some real-life examples of angular momentum?

Some examples of angular momentum in everyday life include the spinning of a top or gyroscope, the motion of a revolving door, and the rotation of the Earth around its axis.

5. How do you calculate angular momentum?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia by its angular velocity. The formula for angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity.