Solve Some Antiderivatives: A Math Homework Statement

In summary, the conversation is about finding antiderivatives, specifically for the following equations: I = \int {{{\sec ^2 \left( x \right)} \over {\left( {1 + \tan \left( x \right)} \right)^3 }}} dx, I = \int {\sin \left( {2x} \right)\cos \left( x \right)} dx, and I = \int {{\mathop{\rm Cos}\nolimits} ^2 \left( {2x} \right)} dx. The conversation includes various methods for finding the antiderivatives, such as integration by substitution and integration by parts. In the end, the correct solutions are found
W3bbo
[SOLVED] Some antiderivatives

I've got a few antiderivatives to find, I've found most of them and they check out fine with my CAS, but three of them I'm having difficulties with.

The first:

Homework Statement

[tex]I = \int {{{\sec ^2 \left( x \right)} \over {\left( {1 + \tan \left( x \right)} \right)^3 }}} dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Integration by Substitution:

[tex]
\displaylines{
I = \int {{{\sec ^2 \left( x \right)} \over {\left( {1 + \tan \left( x \right)} \right)^3 }}} dx \cr
u = 1 + \tan \left( x \right) \cr
{{du} \over {dx}} = \sec ^2 \left( x \right) \cr
du = \sec ^2 \left( x \right)dx \cr
I = \int {{{\sec ^2 \left( x \right)} \over {u^3 }}} dx \cr
= \int {u^{ - 3} } du \cr
= - {\textstyle{1 \over 2}}u^{ - 2} \cr
= - {\textstyle{1 \over 2}}\left( {1 + \tan \left( x \right)} \right)^{ - 2} + C \cr
= - {1 \over {2\left( {1 + \tan \left( x \right)} \right)^2 }} + C \cr}
[/tex]

Yet this does not coincide with the answer my CAS gets:

[tex]{{ - {\mathop{\rm Cos}\nolimits} \left( {2x} \right) + {\mathop{\rm Sin}\nolimits} \left( {2x} \right)} \over {4 + 8{\mathop{\rm Cos}\nolimits} \left( x \right){\mathop{\rm Sin}\nolimits} \left( x \right)}}[/tex]

Finally, for the other two problems I can't think of an approach. I've tried Integration by Parts on both of them, to no avail. I've also tried Substitution, but I get stuck quickly.

FWIW, they're:

[tex]I = \int {\sin \left( {2x} \right)\cos \left( x \right)} dx[/tex]

And

[tex]I = \int {{\mathop{\rm Cos}\nolimits} ^2 \left( {2x} \right)} dx[/tex]

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]I = \int {{\mathop{\rm Cos}\nolimits} ^2 \left( {2x} \right)} dx[/tex]

For this one you need to apply the double angle formula. That is

[tex]cos^{2}(x)=\frac{1+cos(2x)}{2}[/tex]

For this one,

Hint: [tex] sin(2x)=2sin(x)cos(x)[/tex] than take a substitution of cos(x)=t, and you will be fine.

W3bbo said:
Finally, for the other two problems I can't think of an approach. I've tried Integration by Parts on both of them, to no avail. I've also tried Substitution, but I get stuck quickly.

Integration by part is a good way here. Just use it twice and observe that you get the original integral again. You can then algebraically solve for the integral.

For the second on you can either write it as cos(2x)cos(2x) and use the same trick, or you can try and employ some trigonometric indentities to get rid of the square, for example

[tex]
\cos{2x}=\Re{e^{2ix}}=\Re{\left(\left[e^{ix}\right]^2\right)}=\Re{\left(\left[\cos x+i\sin x\right]^2\right)}=\Re{\left(\cos^2x-\sin^2x+2i\cos x\sin x\right)}=\cos^2x-\sin^2x=2\cos^2x-1
[/tex]

From this you see

[tex]
\cos^2x=\frac{1}{2}(1+\cos{2x})
[/tex]
or
[tex]
\cos^2{(2x)}=\frac{1}{2}(1+\cos{4x})
[/tex]

EDIT: Too slow:smile:

Last edited:
Pere Callahan said:
Integration by part is a good way here. Just use it twice and observe that you get the original integral again. You can then algebraically solve for the integral.

:

I really don't want to act like a smart ass, like some of you guys are saying. However, here is my approach to it

[tex]I = \int {\sin \left( {2x} \right)\cos \left( x \right)} dx=2\int cos^{2}(x)sin(x)dx,u=cos(x)=>-du=sin(x)dx=>-2\int u^{2}du=-2\frac{u^{3}}{3}+C[/tex]

Smart ass! :wink:

No you're right, that is way easier than my suggestion.

For number 1) Remember what the "+C" at the end actually means.

Thanks all.

This does my working look alright?

[tex]
\displaylines{
I = \int {\sin \left( {2x} \right)\cos \left( x \right)} dx \cr
\sin \left( {2x} \right) = 2\sin \left( x \right)\cos \left( x \right) \cr
I' = 2\sin \left( x \right)\cos ^2 \left( x \right) \cr
u = \cos \left( x \right) \cr
{{du} \over {dx}} = - \sin \left( x \right) \cr
du = - \sin \left( x \right)dx \cr
I = \int { - 2u} du \cr
= - u^2 \cr
= - \cos ^2 \left( x \right) \cr}
[/tex]

and

[tex]
\displaylines{
I = \int {\cos ^2 \left( {2x} \right)} dx \cr
\cos ^2 \left( x \right) = {\textstyle{1 \over 2}} + {\textstyle{1 \over 2}}\cos \left( {2x} \right) \cr
I = \int {{\textstyle{1 \over 2}} + {\textstyle{1 \over 2}}cos\left( {4x} \right)} dx \cr
= {\textstyle{1 \over 2}}\int {1 + \cos \left( {4x} \right)} dx \cr
= {\textstyle{1 \over 2}}x + {\textstyle{1 \over 8}}\sin \left( {4x} \right) \cr}
[/tex]

Well, for the sin(2x)cos x integral, you had it correct until the 3rd last line. Check that again.

The second one is correct, though both need the "+C" at the end. Well done.

Gib Z said:
Well, for the sin(2x)cos x integral, you had it correct until the 3rd last line. Check that again.

Ah, how careless of me.

And we're done:

[tex]
\displaylines{
I = \int {\sin \left( {2x} \right)\cos \left( x \right)} dx \cr
\sin \left( {2x} \right) = 2\sin \left( x \right)\cos \left( x \right) \cr
I = \int {2\sin \left( x \right)\cos ^2 \left( x \right)dx} \cr
u = \cos \left( x \right) \cr
{{du} \over {dx}} = - \sin \left( x \right) \cr
du = - \sin \left( x \right)dx \cr
\cr
I = \int { - 2u^2 } du \cr
= - {\textstyle{2 \over 3}}u^3 + C \cr
= - {\textstyle{2 \over 3}}\cos ^3 \left( x \right) + C \cr}
[/tex]

Thank you for all your help

1. What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative is the inverse operation of a derivative. It is a function that, when differentiated, gives the original function.

2. How do you solve an antiderivative?

To solve an antiderivative, use the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule to integrate each term of the function. Remember to add an arbitrary constant at the end as the solution could have multiple antiderivatives.

3. What is the difference between an indefinite and a definite antiderivative?

An indefinite antiderivative does not have any specific limits of integration, whereas a definite antiderivative has specific upper and lower limits of integration. Indefinite antiderivatives result in a general function, while definite antiderivatives result in a specific numerical value.

4. Can you use antiderivatives to solve real-world problems?

Yes, antiderivatives have many practical applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. They can be used to model rates of change, determine position or velocity of an object, and calculate areas under curves.

5. What is the notation for antiderivatives?

The notation for antiderivatives is ∫f(x)dx, where f(x) is the function and dx represents the variable of integration. The integral sign (∫) is read as "the integral of" and dx indicates which variable is being integrated with respect to.