1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some basic control theory here

1. Apr 14, 2010 #1
    I have a zero at the origin of my root locus plot. I understand that I need integral control to have zero steady-state error. I have 2 questions about this.

1. When I add integral control like this, Kp (1/(Ti*s)) where Ti is from Z-N first method and Kp=1, I get a pole at the origin. I don't don't see any change in the root locus plot by changing Ti, but I do see change in the transient response. Why is this?

2. When I add the integral control and there's a zero at the origin, I have a CL pole at the origin. This means I'm not able to achieve my settling time requirements. Is there a way to achieve both when there's a zero at the origin?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2010 #2
    Can you rewrite the question a bit more clearly, I am not sure what some of your terms are. For example, what is Ti? Also, what is Z-N first method?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook