Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some basic questions

1. Sep 17, 2010 #1
    hi.

i'm new in mechanical engineering design and build .
    i have a few questions.

1.which language of programming is better for me to learn?
    2.which software(s) is good for me to learn?(catia?Pro engineer?solidwork?ugs?)
    3. should i learn programming or some softwares FIRST ?

thx

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2010 #2

stewartcs

Science Advisor

1. Most any high level programming language will be beneficial. However, I personally preferred C++ and VB.

2. As many as you can! Each company will most likely use a different software. ANSYS products are good in general.

3. Doesn't matter IMO.

CS

4. Sep 17, 2010 #3
    1) C++ seems to be the most useful for mechanical engineering, although VB is useful for programming stuff in Excel, SolidWorks and other programs. I would recommend starting with C++ and once you get good at one language you can more easily move to others.

2) It depends on what industry you are going to enter. Some car manufacturers use catia, at least one uses unigraphics. Overall i would recommend Solidworks. Its easy to learn and use and each time I have been on the job market it seems like the most requested.

3) It seems like your emphasis is mechanical design, so you should definitely start with getting good at CAD (i.e. Solidworks). Programming usually won't be to integral to that imo. CAD first, learning how to use electrical items/microcontrollers second (like Arduino microcontrollers, which includes some basic programming) and then programming third. At least that's my recommendation.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook