Why Am I Facing Issues with Windows XP on My MacBook Pro?

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary: You might be using an old version of Windows. Make sure you have "Show full path in the address bar" checked in the Folder Options dialog box.
Saladsamurai
I recently installed WinXP on my Macbook Pro with Intel. I am used to my PC at work and i am trying to mimic some of its features. I have 3 main issues right now:

1.) I would like to be able to drag and drop shortcuts from the desktop/start menu TO the taskbar. I have unlocked the taskbar but I am still getting the little 'circle with a line through it' symbol indicating that Windows angry with me.

2.) When I go to My Computer-->c:/ it gives me the screen that says something to the affect of "These are system files...don't touch them..." no matter what folder within the c-drive a try to open. I mean, it will let me open them, but the blue warning screen is pretty annoying.

3.) I cannot see the address of my current;y selected folders. I turned on 'Show Full address' under my folder options. But I still don't see it. I am used to seeing something like "c:\Folder\Subfolder\something.doc" in an address bar. But I cannot get an address bar to even show up.

I hate to think that this is related top the fact that I am on a Mac, but I can't rule out the possibility. However, it would seem that these are functions of the OS and not the hardware.

Any ideas?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Saladsamurai said:
I recently installed WinXP on my Macbook Pro with Intel. I am used to my PC at work and i am trying to mimic some of its features. I have 3 main issues right now:

1.) I would like to be able to drag and drop shortcuts from the desktop/start menu TO the taskbar. I have unlocked the taskbar but I am still getting the little 'circle with a line through it' symbol indicating that Windows angry with me.

2.) When I go to My Computer-->c:/ it gives me the screen that says something to the affect of "These are system files...don't touch them..." no matter what folder within the c-drive a try to open. I mean, it will let me open them, but the blue warning screen is pretty annoying.

3.) I cannot see the address of my current;y selected folders. I turned on 'Show Full address' under my folder options. But I still don't see it. I am used to seeing something like "c:\Folder\Subfolder\something.doc" in an address bar. But I cannot get an address bar to even show up.I hate to think that this is related top the fact that I am on a Mac, but I can't rule out the possibility. However, it would seem that these are functions of the OS and not the hardware.

Any ideas?

Mac shouldn't make any difference.

1) The task bar? Do you mean the quick launch bar? You can't drop items onto the task bar. Are you sure the quick launch is open? Make sure "show quick launch" is checked in the taskbar properties.

2) Tools->Folder Options->View uncheck "Hide protected operating system files"

3) View->Toolbars, make sure "Address Bar" is checked. Also make sure you check "Display full path in the address bar" and make sure to hit "apply to all folders"

Saladsamurai said:

Try dragging the actual application to the quick launch bar, and not just a shortcut TO the application. I don't think Windows likes creating shortcuts to shortcuts (TIP: if you have a shortcut, right click on it, open up its properties and find the actual path).

Saladsamurai said:

Never seen the blue screen before... Usually, the first time I go into the C, Program Files, or Windows folders, it'll warn me that these are system files, but the warning never appears again when you acknowledge that you know what you're doing and want to go into the folder.

Saladsamurai said:
3.) I cannot see the address of my current;y selected folders. I turned on 'Show Full address' under my folder options. But I still don't see it. I am used to seeing something like "c:\Folder\Subfolder\something.doc" in an address bar. But I cannot get an address bar to even show up.

In an open folder window, go to the menu and select View > Toolbars and make sure that "Lock the Toolbars" does not have a checkmark to the left of it. If it does, click on it to (you can verify by going opening up the submenu again and seeing if it still has the checkmark beside it). Now, in the actual toolbar area of the window, there'll probably be a box that says Address. Drag it to the bottom of the toolbar, and you'll have an address bar! You can either lock the toolbars again, or just leave it be.

Saladsamurai said:
I hate to think that this is related top the fact that I am on a Mac, but I can't rule out the possibility. However, it would seem that these are functions of the OS and not the hardware.

I concur with DavidSnider; this is just the default configuration of whatever copy of the Windows XP Install CD/DVD you used. Happy Mac'ing!

1. What is Windows XP?

Windows XP is a computer operating system developed by Microsoft. It was released in 2001 and was one of the most popular versions of the Windows operating system until it was officially retired in 2014.

2. How do I check which version of Windows XP I have?

To check your Windows XP version, click on the "Start" button, then right-click on "My Computer" and select "Properties". The version of Windows XP you have will be displayed under the "General" tab.

3. Can I still use Windows XP?

While Windows XP is no longer officially supported by Microsoft, it is still possible to use it. However, it is not recommended as the system is no longer receiving security updates, making it vulnerable to cyber attacks.

4. How do I update my Windows XP?

To update your Windows XP, click on the "Start" button, then go to "All Programs" and click on "Windows Update". This will check for any available updates and prompt you to install them.

5. Can I upgrade from Windows XP to a newer version?

Yes, it is possible to upgrade from Windows XP to a newer version of Windows, such as Windows 10. However, it is important to note that this may not be a smooth process and some programs and devices may not be compatible with the newer version.