Finding Area of a Right Triangle & Proving arctanx Limit

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the largest possible area of a right triangle with a given sum of hypotenuse and leg lengths, proving a mathematical equation involving arctanx, and evaluating a limit involving arctanx. The approach for finding the maximum area of the triangle involves using the derivative and the Taylor formula is suggested for proving the equation.
azatkgz
Question1:In a right triangle,the sum of the lengths of the hypotenuse and a leg is 1.Find the largest possible area of such triangle.
Question2:Prove that arctanx=pi/2-1/x+o(1/x)(x tends to +inf)
Question3:evaluate lim(2arctanx/pi)^2 (x tends to +inf)

Physics news on Phys.org
well for the first one here it is my approach, i hope i am not wrong.
let c be the hypotenuse, and a, b to legs of that right triangle. Let us take
c+b=1 ----------*
we know that the area of a right triangle is

A=(ab)/2, from * we have A=(a/2)(1-c),, so this is a function, and we need to find its maximum. finding the first derivative we get A'=1-c-a, so the maximum of this function is when a=1-c, so the maximum area is A=(b^2)/2, or (1-c)^2/2

the tird one, i guess the limit is 2pi, i did not do any calculations though, just glanced it.
and for the second one, try to expand arctanx using the taylor formula, when n=2, i mean just applying the derivative twice.
i hope i was helpful.

Question1: To find the largest possible area of a right triangle, we can use the formula A = 1/2 * base * height. In this case, the base and height are the two legs of the triangle. Let's call the hypotenuse x and the leg y. We know that x + y = 1, so we can rewrite the area formula as A = 1/2 * y * (1 - y). To find the maximum value of A, we can take the derivative and set it equal to 0:

A' = 1/2 - y = 0
y = 1/2

Substituting y = 1/2 back into the area formula, we get A = 1/2 * 1/2 * (1 - 1/2) = 1/8. Therefore, the largest possible area of the right triangle is 1/8 when the hypotenuse is 1/2 and one of the legs is also 1/2.

Question2: To prove that arctanx = pi/2 - 1/x + o(1/x) as x tends to +inf, we can use the definition of the arctan function:

arctanx = tan^-1(x) = y if and only if tan(y) = x

As x tends to +inf, the value of y also tends to +inf. Therefore, we can use the following limit property:

lim (tan^-1(x)) = pi/2 - 1/x + o(1/x) as x tends to +inf

Question3: To evaluate lim (2arctanx/pi)^2 as x tends to +inf, we can use the limit properties of trigonometric functions:

lim (2arctanx/pi)^2 = (2pi/2)^2 = pi^2 as x tends to +inf

Therefore, the limit of (2arctanx/pi)^2 as x tends to +inf is pi^2.

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a right triangle?

The formula for finding the area of a right triangle is (base * height) / 2.

2. How do you prove the limit of arctanx?

To prove the limit of arctanx, we use the definition of the limit and the properties of inverse trigonometric functions. We can also use the squeeze theorem or L'Hopital's rule to evaluate the limit.

3. Can you explain the concept of finding the area of a right triangle using trigonometry?

To find the area of a right triangle using trigonometry, we can use the formula: (1/2) * base * height = (1/2) * b * h * sin(x), where x is the angle opposite the base. This formula uses the trigonometric function sine to calculate the area.

4. How do you calculate the area of a right triangle if you only know the lengths of the sides?

If we only know the lengths of the sides of a right triangle, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the missing side, and then use the formula for finding the area of a right triangle: (base * height) / 2.

5. What is the relationship between the tangent function and the inverse tangent function?

The tangent and inverse tangent functions are inversely related, meaning that they "undo" each other's operations. The tangent function takes an angle as an input and outputs a ratio, while the inverse tangent function takes a ratio as an input and outputs an angle.