• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Some Chemistry problems

• Thread starter maccaman
  • Start date
I have just started at university and i have a couple of the questions that i could not fill out during my laboratory.

Lab 1, Acids and Bases

1. Describe a simple chemical test to distinguish between a solid sodium carbonate and solid sodium chloride. My thoughts on this was to react them both with an acid (considering thats what the lab was about, acids and bases). The carbonate would produce water and carbon dioxide, ie. a gas. But i wouldnt know what sodium chloride would do, any help would be great on this one.

2. Describe a simple chemical test to distinguish between a small piece of aluminium and a small piece of platinum. I thought of the acid and or base reacting with them, however i dont know what this would do and how this would help me. Anyone with an idea would be great.

Answers and Replies

I don't think adding an acid to sodium carbonate would create water and carbon dioxide. Where did the sodium go? That should be included in your chemical reaction. Also, for both question one and two it depends on what kind of acid you are using. Typically metals and nonmetals will combine in a solution.

Huck

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
For both experiments,u need sulphuric acid.

Daniel.

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
For the first,u'd smell the HCl vapors (from the chloride) and see bubbles (from the carbonate).

For the second,u'd see the metal probe "melting",it was Aluminum.

Daniel.

thankyou for both of your help, it was greatly appreciated.