1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some Chemistry problems

1. Apr 10, 2005 #1
    I have just started at university and i have a couple of the questions that i could not fill out during my laboratory.

Lab 1, Acids and Bases

1. Describe a simple chemical test to distinguish between a solid sodium carbonate and solid sodium chloride. My thoughts on this was to react them both with an acid (considering thats what the lab was about, acids and bases). The carbonate would produce water and carbon dioxide, ie. a gas. But i wouldnt know what sodium chloride would do, any help would be great on this one.

2. Describe a simple chemical test to distinguish between a small piece of aluminium and a small piece of platinum. I thought of the acid and or base reacting with them, however i dont know what this would do and how this would help me. Anyone with an idea would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2005 #2
    I don't think adding an acid to sodium carbonate would create water and carbon dioxide. Where did the sodium go? That should be included in your chemical reaction. Also, for both question one and two it depends on what kind of acid you are using. Typically metals and nonmetals will combine in a solution.

Huck

4. Apr 10, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For both experiments,u need sulphuric acid.

Daniel.

5. Apr 10, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For the first,u'd smell the HCl vapors (from the chloride) and see bubbles (from the carbonate).

For the second,u'd see the metal probe "melting",it was Aluminum.

Daniel.

6. Apr 10, 2005 #5
    thankyou for both of your help, it was greatly appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?