Universe Quantum Mechanics: Different Electron Configurations & Noble Gases?

• Thread starter sarabellum02
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the conversation is discussing possible changes to the periodic table in alternative universes. The first scenario proposes three possible spin states for electrons, while the second scenario suggests a wider range of values for the l quantum number. The conversation also touches on determining which elements would be considered exceptions and identifying the noble gases in these altered versions of the periodic table.
sarabellum02
Which elements have electron configurations different from what the periodic table predicts? I have the d-block, but i don't know how/where to get the rest.

Suppose in another universe, everything about atomic structure is the same as in our universe BUT there are 3 possible spin states for an electron in an orbital(up, down, and side) instead of two. How would this change where the elements are in the periodic table? which are the noble gases?

In another universe, everything about quantum mechs and atomic structure is the same as in our universe excpet that the l quantum number can take values from 0 up to the value of the n quantum number. How would this change where the elements are on the periodic table? Which are the noble gases?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
This looks like homework (and a double post)

What are your thoughts, sara ?

For the first one, I don't know how you can determine which ones are exceptions. I found a list of the d-block and i know how to explain them, but i just don't understand how you know which are the exceptions i guess.

For the next two, I don't understand how it ties into the periodic table.

What is Universe Quantum Mechanics?

Universe Quantum Mechanics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at the smallest scale of the universe, such as atoms and subatomic particles.

How are electron configurations different in the universe?

In the universe, electron configurations can vary due to the presence of different elements and their unique properties. The number and arrangement of electrons in an atom's energy levels can also differ in different parts of the universe.

What are noble gases?

Noble gases are a group of chemical elements that are generally non-reactive due to their full outer electron shells. They are helium, neon, argon, krypton, xenon, and radon.

How do noble gases fit into quantum mechanics?

Noble gases are important in quantum mechanics because they have completely filled outer electron shells, making them stable and unreactive. This property is a result of the quantum mechanical behavior of electrons and their arrangement in energy levels.

What is the significance of studying different electron configurations and noble gases in the universe?

Studying different electron configurations and noble gases in the universe allows us to understand the fundamental laws of quantum mechanics and how they apply to different parts of the universe. This knowledge also helps us to understand the behavior of matter and energy at a smaller scale and how it influences the larger structures of the universe.