Clarifying Forces in a Two-Mass System

• Thread starter wtf_albino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, two masses of 3.00 kg and 5.00 kg are connected by a light string over a frictionless pulley. The formula F = MA was used to determine the tension in the string and the acceleration of each mass. The forces acting on each mass were identified and it was determined that the magnitudes of their accelerations are the same, but one moves up while the other moves down. Two equations were set up and solved to find the acceleration and tension in the string.
wtf_albino
1) Two masses of 3.00 kg and 5.00 kg are connected by a light string that passes over a frictionless pulley as in the figure below. Determine (A) the tension in the string (B) the acceleration of each mass (C) the distance each mass will move up in the first second of motion if both masses start from rest.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sleepyboixcl/physics-1.jpg

Thats the figure.

I drew my free body diagram. I worked out my formulas to be:

F = MA
F = (3.00)A

F = MA
F = (5.00)A

I know I am missing something. I feel like i don't have enough information as the question is stated now. I would very much appreciate it if someone could please point out my mistake. Also, tension is the force the string exerts on the weights correct? So could it also be wrriten as..

T = MA?

Would that be ok?

Help would be very much appreciated thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Newton's 2nd law tells you that the net force on each mass will equal the mass times the acceleration.
(1) What forces act on each mass?
(2) How does the acceleration of one mass compare to that of the other?

Use the answers to come up with two equations (one for each mass) which you will solve to find the tension and acceleration.

Doc Al said:
Newton's 2nd law tells you that the net force on each mass will equal the mass times the acceleration.
(1) What forces act on each mass?
(2) How does the acceleration of one mass compare to that of the other?

Use the answers to come up with two equations (one for each mass) which you will solve to find the tension and acceleration.

Hm. So for the 3.0 kg weight, the string pulls up on weight, while the Earth pulls down on it. And wouldn't their accelerations be the same?:confused:

How could I translate this formulaically?

wtf_albino said:
So for the 3.0 kg weight, the string pulls up on weight, while the Earth pulls down on it.
Right. And similar forces act on the other mass.

And wouldn't their accelerations be the same?
The magnitudes would be the same, but one moves up while the other moves down.

Thanks Doc, i think i understand the concept now however, how could I translate this information into the equation? My take on it is that..the FORCE of one weight would be the variable F

the MASS would be the same (3.00 kg)

and the ACCELERATION would be the variable A minus 9.8 am I correct or an idiot? :(

desperate bump.

anyone? i just need a little bit of clarification.

wtf_albino said:
anyone? i just need a little bit of clarification.

Just follow the recipe Doc Al gave you in his very first message. For this problem, each free body diagram will show the mass, and each mass will have two arrows attached to it, representing the vectors for the forces. One will be pushing in the positive direction, and one in the negative direction.

So add these two together, and use Newton's second law to decide what to set this sum, which is the net force, equal to.

Do the same for the second free body diagram. You'll end up with two equations in two unknowns, which you can solve for the acceleration or the tension in the string.

Dorothy

1. What are the different types of forces?

There are four fundamental forces in the universe: gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force.

2. How are forces measured?

Forces are measured in units of Newtons (N) using a device called a force meter or a spring scale.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is measured in kilograms (kg) and weight is measured in Newtons (N).

4. How do forces affect motion?

Forces can cause objects to start moving, stop moving, change direction, or change speed. These effects on motion are described by Newton's Laws of Motion.

5. Can forces cancel each other out?

Yes, forces can cancel each other out when they are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. This is known as balanced forces, and it results in no change in an object's motion.