1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some Complex Analysis help

1. Mar 16, 2006 #1
    Here's my question:

Let f and g be analytic inside and on the smple loop [tex]\Gamma[/tex]. Prove that if f(z)=g(z) for all z on [tex]\Gamma[/tex], then f(z)=g(z) for all z inside [tex]\Gamma[/tex].

Don't really know where to start on this one. This comes from the section 'Cauchy's Integral Formula'.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2006 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What does Cauchy's Integral Formula tell you about the value of a function at point z0 **inside** Gamma in terms of the integral of that function around Gamma?

4. Mar 16, 2006 #3
    well it states that for a point z0 inside gamma,

[tex]f(z_0)=\frac{1}{2\pi\i}{\int_\Gamma}\frac{f(z)}{z-z_0}dz[/tex]

But where do I go from there. I think i'm missing something big and obvious :x

k here is my guess:

since [tex]f(z_0)=g(z_0)[/tex] for all [tex]z_0[/tex] on [tex]\Gamma[/tex], then we know

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi\i}{\int_\Gamma}\frac{f(z)}{z-z_0}dz=\frac{1}{2\pi\i}{\int_\Gamma}\frac{g(z)}{z-z_0}dz[/tex], and therefore f(z)=g(z) for all z in [tex]\Gamma[/tex] since this formula is ambiguous whether z_0 is on [tex]\Gamma[/tex] or inside of it.

Problem is this seems like i'm missing something. For this case, even if I write that shouldn't it still only apply to the loop itself and not what is inside. Is there some subtle thing I am missing that would allow me to actually say what I just said?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2006
  5. Mar 16, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's a perfectly valid proof. However, it's not true that "this formula is ambiguous whether z_0 is on or inside of it". It requires that z0 be inside the loop so that [itex]\frac{f(z)}{z-z_0}[/itex] be defined for all x on the loop.

6. Mar 17, 2006 #5

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How can you start the proof with this statement? That is what you are trying to prove!

Ummmm......NO. As Halls pointed out, z0 is a point INSIDE gamma, not on it.

I think this is the statement you start the proof with. It follows immediately from the fact that f(z) = g(z) on Gamma. From there the proof is as straightforward as applying the formula.

7. Mar 17, 2006 #6
    Sorry, I don't think I was thinking too clearly when I wrote that. Thanks for the advice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?