Some Composition Proofs for Surjectivity and Injectivity

• Thread starter Seda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that the composition of subjective functions is subjective and the composition of injective functions is injective. The proof for the subjective composition is described by showing that if both functions are subjective, their composition will also be subjective. The proof for the injective composition involves showing that if the composition of two functions is equal, then the individual functions must also be equal. The conversation also mentions a question about whether the product of injective functions is injective, which is disproven by providing a counterexample.
Seda
[SOLVED] Some Compostion Proofs

Homework Statement

Prove:
1.) The composition of subjective functions is subjective
2.) The composition of injective functions is injective

Homework Equations

Subjective: A function f: A->B is surjective iff

For all members of B, there exists a member of A where f(a)=b

Injective: A funtion f: A->B in injective iff

f(a)=f(b) -> a=b

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know how to start this proof, mainly because in the questions, the domain and codomain are not defined in any way. However, both statements seem to be obviously true to me, at least I can't think of any obvioius counter examples.

I.) Suppose we have functions f an g which are both surjective. The conpostion of these functions can b e written as g(f(x)). If g is subjective, regardless of the values of f(x), then gof will be subjective.

That proof's really bad I know, and I don't know how to even start 2. Help! It seems like it should be really easy and I feel like an idiot for not knowing how to do these proofs.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, i meant surjective

For injectivity, suppose that g(f(x)) = g(f(y)). You must prove from this that this implies x = y. (Hint: you know nothing, except that f and g are injective).

For surjectivity, let z be in the codomain of (g o f). Prove that there is an y in the domain of g such that g(y) = z. Now can you find an x such that g(f(x)) = z, using surjectivity of f?

Thanks, I think I got the Injective proof spot on now and I think my surjective proof is good to (though my wording is sort of weird, I'll work On it.)

I have one last problem that I want to check.

Q: The product of injective functions is injective/

Can I easily disprove this by letting f(x) = x and g(x) = 2x, which are both injctive and show that their product isnt?

That will work. Now just give two different x values that map to the same value of f(x)*g(x).

What is a composition proof?

A composition proof is a type of mathematical proof that involves breaking down a complex problem or theorem into smaller, more manageable parts in order to prove its validity.

How is a composition proof different from other types of proofs?

Unlike direct proofs or proof by contradiction, a composition proof uses the principle of mathematical induction to prove a statement for all possible values, rather than just one specific case.

What are the steps involved in a composition proof?

The steps involved in a composition proof typically include identifying the base case, assuming the statement is true for some value, proving that it is also true for the next value, and then using mathematical induction to show that it is true for all values.

What types of problems can be solved using composition proofs?

Composition proofs are commonly used in number theory and discrete mathematics to prove properties of sequences, series, and combinatorial identities. They can also be applied to other mathematical concepts such as sets, functions, and graphs.

What are some tips for successfully solving a composition proof?

Some tips for solving a composition proof include carefully identifying the base case, using precise and logical reasoning in each step, and clearly stating all assumptions and conclusions. It can also be helpful to look for patterns and use algebraic manipulation to simplify the problem.