1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some Concept Questions

1. Nov 14, 2009 #1
    Hi

I was wondering if anyone could explain why the momentum of the center of mass of a system is different than the sum of the independent momentums of every object.

I also don't understand the concepts of the first and second moment of area. I would appreciate it if someone explained it to me.

Thanks for any help that you can provide

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Why do you think it's different?

4. Nov 14, 2009 #3
    Because on a question for my homework, which asked for linear momentum of the system, I got two different answers when i did the momentum of each separately than doing the momentum of the center of mass.

5. Nov 14, 2009 #4

Doc Al

I'd have to see the details, but I suspect you made an error.

6. Nov 14, 2009 #5
    If they are indeed the same then I probably did. I'll try to work out what I did wrong. Thanks.

7. Nov 14, 2009 #6
    I think I figured out what I did but I don't really understand why. I did the change in position of the center of mass, divided it by the time interval, and multiplied the result by the total mass of the system and I got a very off answer. Can anyone explain why I can't do it this way? Thanks

8. Nov 15, 2009 #7

Doc Al

You can do it that way. In order to find out where you went wrong, please describe the actual problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook