Some conceptual questions about light confused >_<

In summary, the conversation discusses various aspects of light, including its wavelength, intensity, total internal reflection, and polarization. It explains how the wavelength of light changes when passing from air to water, why violet light is not necessarily brighter than other colors, and why we can see total internal reflection in diamonds. It also clarifies the equation for intensity in both classical and quantum terms, and mentions that the intensity of light can be defined in different ways.
michaelw
Hello
Im trying to understand light, I did it briefly inhigh school and I am writing the mcat this august... and I am quite confused

Is the wavelength of light at a specific frequency in water (n = 1.3) equal to the wavelength in a vacuum / 1.3?

Why is violet light not bright? Intensity is proportional to frequency ^2, so shouldn't violet be much more intense than red or yellow light?

Why can we see total internal reflection? Say in a diamond, light within the diamond hits an edge at the critical angle, causing the light to be reflected along the edges of the face.. why can we see this (the sparkle?).. no light is reaching our eyes, so why can we see the sparkle?

In my book it says "plane polarized light loses half its intensity.. plane polarized light is light having an electric field in just one direction". but why is it only reduced by half, if the electric fields of photons are in random directions? wouldn't you be blocking much more than 50% of the photons?

What exactly is intensity? is it just the brightness of the light? is it energy itself or proportional to it?

Please help me.. I've been reading this book for hours and I am still so confused with light

Physics news on Phys.org
michaelw said:
Is the wavelength of light at a specific frequency in water (n = 1.3) equal to the wavelength in a vacuum / 1.3?
Right. When light passes from air to water the frequency stays the same but the speed and wavelength are decreased by a factor of [itex]1/n[/itex].
Why is violet light not bright? Intensity is proportional to frequency ^2, so shouldn't violet be much more intense than red or yellow light?
Intensity is proportional to amplitude squared, not frequency.

Why can we see total internal reflection? Say in a diamond, light within the diamond hits an edge at the critical angle, causing the light to be reflected along the edges of the face.. why can we see this (the sparkle?).. no light is reaching our eyes, so why can we see the sparkle?
The light, of course, does reach your eyes. The internal reflection causes the facets to act as perfect mirrors; without such internal reflection, most of the light would "leak out" and be dispersed and not be reflected back so brightly.

In my book it says "plane polarized light loses half its intensity.. plane polarized light is light having an electric field in just one direction". but why is it only reduced by half, if the electric fields of photons are in random directions? wouldn't you be blocking much more than 50% of the photons?
If you think in terms of classical light, then the polarizer admits only the component parallel to its optic axis. (Look up the law of Malus.) For a randomly polarized incident beam, the transmitted beam ends up being half as intense. If you wish to think in terms of photons, you must view them quantum mechanically. A photon with polarization at an angle with respect to the polarizer still has a probability of being transmitted.

What exactly is intensity? is it just the brightness of the light? is it energy itself or proportional to it?
Think of the intensity as the power per unit area.

Doc Al said:
Right. When light passes from air to water the frequency stays the same but the speed and wavelength are decreased by a factor of [itex]1/n[/itex].

Intensity is proportional to amplitude squared, not frequency.

The equation in the book reads
I = (1/2)p(w^2)(A^2)v
where w = 2pi*frequency

michaelw said:
The equation in the book reads
I = (1/2)p(w^2)(A^2)v
where w = 2pi*frequency
Can you tell me what this equation is describing? What are p, w, A, & v?

I is intensity of a wave
p is density of medium
w is angular frequency
A is amplitude
v is wave velocity

That seems more a description of sound intensity in a medium, not light.

Doc Al said:
That seems more a description of sound intensity in a medium, not light.
ah youre right

would you happen to know the equation of intensity for light?

Because the intensity of light is a non-fundamental quantity. We may choose to definite it however we want. For example, in high-school you can learn that:

I = k/d^2

which is useful if you want to calculate the intensity of light at a certain distance relative to another. In planar wave form, you may use the Poyting vector and the average power of the electromagnetic waves, kind of similar to how we get the average power in electrical AC systems.

Lastly, if you really want it simple, the intensity of light is the amount of photons per second per unit area.

E = hf
Etotal = nhf (where n is the number of photons)
Power = nhf/second
Intensity = Power/area = (nhf/second)/area

What is light?

Light is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. It is a form of energy that travels in waves and can be described as both a particle and a wave.

How does light travel?

Light travels in a straight line at a constant speed of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This speed is known as the speed of light and is the fastest known speed in the universe.

What is the difference between white light and colored light?

White light is a combination of all the colors of the visible spectrum, while colored light is a specific wavelength of light that appears as a certain color to the human eye. Different colors of light have different wavelengths and frequencies.

What is the relationship between light and color?

Light and color are closely related because light is what enables us to see color. Different colors of light are created by varying wavelengths and frequencies of light, and these wavelengths determine the color that we perceive.

How does light interact with matter?

Light can interact with matter in several ways, including absorption, reflection, and refraction. When light is absorbed by matter, it is converted into another form of energy, such as heat. When light is reflected, it bounces off the surface of an object. Refraction occurs when light passes through a medium and changes direction.