1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some concrete limits

1. Nov 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello! I got few questions, about limits.
    º [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0}(\frac{sin(x)}{x})=1[/tex]
    If I take values for x close to zero I get:
    as I can see it is not even close to 1.
    What is the problem? Where I am doing wrong?

º [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(\frac{1}{x})=0[/tex]
    Now, for all integers I agree that [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(\frac{1}{x})=0[/tex] (thanks to HallsofIvy for [itex]\infty[/itex]), but what for 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 ?
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(\frac{1}{x})=\frac{1}{1/4}=4[/tex] and not 0 ?

º [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^-}(e^{\frac{1}{x}})[/tex]
    How will I find the bound of the expression above?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^-}(e^{\frac{1}{x}})[/tex]
    I understand that x<0 (so the values for x are tending to 0 from the left side), and
    [tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(x_n)=0[/tex]

For example, I know how to find the bound for:
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 2^+}(\frac{x}{x-2})[/tex]
    [tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(x_n)=2[/tex]
    [tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(x_n-2)=0[/tex]
    so that:
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 2^+}(\frac{x}{x-2})=\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(\frac{x_n}{x_n-2})=\frac{2}{\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(2-x_n)}=+\infty[/tex]

Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

Are you using a calculator to do these? If so, I think your calculator is in degree mode. It needs to be in radian mode. As the values of x get smaller, the value of your expression will get closer to 1.
    The limit is for x growing very large, so you shouldn't concern yourself with small values of x. On the other hand,
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+}(\frac{1}{x})=\infty[/tex]
    which is more related to what you're doing with 1/2, 1/3, and so on.
    As x approaches 0 from the negative side, 1/x approaches neg. infinity, so e^(1/x) approaches 0. Do you need more explanation than that?
  4. Nov 21, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the post Mark44.

Yes, I was using calculator in degree mode. Now with radian mode everything is all right.

For the second one. Sorry, I wasn't so clear. I was learning about the number "e". So for one task (example):
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(1+\frac{1}{x-3})=\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(1+\frac{1}{x-3})^{(x-3)+3}=\lim_{t \rightarrow \infty}(1+\frac{1}{t})^t*\lim_{t \rightarrow \infty}(1+\frac{1}{t})^3=e*(1+0)^3=e[/tex]
    As we can see they put [tex]\lim_{t \rightarrow \infty}(\frac{1}{t})=0[/tex]. How is this possible? What about for t=1/2,1/3,1/4 ? It wouldn't be zero in that case.

Mark44, sorry for misunderstanding again. Yes I understand all of that, but how will I "show" or "prove" that. Aren't there any calculations?
    Thanks in advance.
  5. Nov 21, 2008 #4

For your first limit above, I think you are missing an exponent of x. In other words, I think it should be:
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(1+\frac{1}{x-3})^x[/tex]
    Now I think I understand what you're saying. The first limit was as x approached infinity and involved an expression with (x - 3). They substituted t = x - 3 and changed the limit variable from x to t (as x gets very large, so does t).

In the third limit expression (before they took the limit), there are two factors:
    [tex]}(1+\frac{1}{t})^t[/tex] and
    The second one is straightforward to evaluate in the limit, and turns out to be just 1. If you multiply it out before taking the limit, you have 1 + 3*1/t + 3*1/t^2 + 1/t^3, which approaches 1 as t gets large.

The first one is more tricky, and you can't just say that 1/t approaches 0 as t gets large. There are two competing effects going on: the base, 1 + 1/t, is getting closer to 1, but the exponent t is getting larger. The net effect is that (1 + 1/t)^t approaches the number e as t gets large. If I recall correctly, one of the definitions of e is precisely this limit.

6. Nov 21, 2008 #5
    Now I understand. I misjudged [itex]\infty[/itex].

But for [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^-}(e^{1/x})[/tex], I need to "show", "explain" the result of the limit. How will I do that?

7. Nov 21, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For x very close to 0, but negative, say -0.00001, 1/x is -100000, a very large negative number. What is e-100000? what is e any very large negative number?
  8. Nov 21, 2008 #7
    Thanks for the post. It definitely will tend to zero.

And what about [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+}(\frac{1}{1+e^{1/x}})[/tex]?

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+}(e^{1/x})=\infty[/tex] ?
  9. Nov 21, 2008 #8

For the first one, as x approaches 0 (from the right), 1/x grows without bound (approaches infinity), so 1 + 1/x also grows without bound, which makes the fraction approach 0.

For the second, that's the right value.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?