Some confusion with c1v1 = c2v2

• Thread starter Ace.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusion
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to determine the amount of distilled water needed to dilute a 1.5 M solution of Na2CO3 to a concentration of 0.5 M. The equation c1v1=c2v2 is used, where c1 and v1 represent the initial concentration and volume, and c2 and v2 represent the final concentration and volume. The process involves identifying the starting solution and the diluted solution, and then using simple arithmetic or a formula to find the volume of water needed for dilution. It is important to be consistent in labeling the solutions and to understand that c1 and c2 can be used interchangeably.
Ace.

Homework Statement

Determine how much distilled water must be added to 250 ml of a 1.5 M solution of Na2CO3 to dilute it to a concentraion of 0.5 M.

Homework Equations

c1v1=c2v2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble understanding how to identify c1,v1,c2, and v2, especially since every question is worded differently. My guess is that v1 = 250mL, c1 = 1.5 M, and c2 = 0.5 M. And we're solving for v2...? My teacher didn't explain this very well so is there any rule for this law? Because for example I know that c1 and c2 can't be used interchangeably so how do I know which is c1 and which is c2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just pick a subscript number to identify each solution (meaning each liquid).

Let the starting, more concentrated solution be "1", and the diluted solution be "2".
The concentrated starting solution is C1=1.5 molar, V1=0.25 liters.
The diluted solution is C2=0.5 molar, V2=0.25 liters + Q.
I'm choosing Q to be the volume of water to add to the 250 ml. of stock Na2CO3 solution to make the dilution.

The process of planning runs that way because the objective is to make a dilution; thinking of it this way is just easier for ME. If you wanted, you could just use C1V1=C2V2 as you did, but then you'd finish by finding the difference in volume.

So many of the quantitative questions in elementary chemistry are just arithmetic simple proportion I am often surprised by how heavy weather many students make of them. My guess is that it is because students segment knowledge. One thing comes up in arithmetic lessons and the same thing in chemistry lessons, and they are thought to have nothing to do with each other.

You are asked to make a solution one third as concentrated as before by adding water. So you make the volume containing the stuff three times what it was before - add twice the volume of water, that is 500ml.

Simples.

You can also use a formula.

Ace. said:
Because for example I know that c1 and c2 can't be used interchangeably so how do I know which is c1 and which is c2?

Usually we use C1V1 for the solution that is being diluted and C2V2 for the solution after dilution. But it doesn't matter. All that matters is that you are consistent in using indexes. C1 and V1 must describe the same solution (be it final or the one being diluted) and C2 & V2 must describe the other solution.

As a scientist, it is important to have a clear understanding of the variables involved in any equation, including the dilution equation c1v1 = c2v2. In this case, c1 and v1 represent the initial concentration and volume of the solution, while c2 and v2 represent the final concentration and volume after dilution.

To solve this problem, you would first need to rearrange the equation to solve for v2:

v2 = (c1v1)/c2

Then, you can plug in the values given in the problem:

v2 = (1.5 M x 250 mL)/0.5 M = 750 mL

This means that 750 mL of distilled water must be added to the 250 mL of 1.5 M Na2CO3 solution to dilute it to a concentration of 0.5 M.

In general, it is important to carefully read the problem and identify the initial and final concentrations and volumes before plugging them into the dilution equation. Additionally, it may be helpful to label your variables in your work to avoid confusion.

What does the equation c1v1 = c2v2 mean?

The equation c1v1 = c2v2 is known as the dilution equation. It represents the relationship between the initial concentration (c1) and volume (v1) of a solution and the final concentration (c2) and volume (v2) of the diluted solution.

How do you use the dilution equation in the laboratory?

The dilution equation is commonly used in the laboratory to prepare solutions of known concentration. By knowing the initial concentration and volume, and the desired final concentration, the volume of the diluted solution can be calculated.

What is the purpose of using the dilution equation?

The main purpose of using the dilution equation is to accurately prepare solutions of a desired concentration. It allows for precise control over the concentration of a solution and is crucial in many scientific experiments and procedures.

Can the dilution equation be used for any type of solution?

Yes, the dilution equation can be used for any type of solution, as long as the initial and final concentrations are known. This includes solutions of solids, liquids, and gases.

What are some common mistakes when using the dilution equation?

Some common mistakes when using the dilution equation include mixing up the initial and final concentrations, using incorrect units, and not accounting for changes in the volume of the solution due to temperature or pressure. It is important to carefully double-check all values and units before using the equation.