Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some device or contraption to measure point impact velocity - ballistic pendulum ?

1. Dec 3, 2011 #1
    some device or contraption to measure point impact velocity - ballistic pendulum ???

i hope you guys and gals can point me in the right direction for a prototype i am working on.

I am looking for a device that measures impact velocity. much like a ballistic pendulum only much sturdier than the ones ive seen online. it has to be able to take a lot of abuse

it doesnt need to be a complete item, i can work with anything that i will be able to rig together, mount on a pole and take the measurement.

it should operate with a pendulum type motion. it doesnt have to be small, but it should be portable.

thank you in advance for your help.

-jason

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2011 #2
    Re: some device or contraption to measure point impact velocity - ballistic pendulum

anyone?

maybe something that is already in production that i can retro fit?

i have seen the hydrology velocity meters, but i am not sure this would measure the same type of velocity that i am looking for. besides the one i have seen may not stand up to the impacts i will subject it to.

thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?