Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some Doubts on Perturbation theory

1. May 22, 2003 #1
    Here they go my doubts:

a)Could It be that a theroy that is not renormalizable in three or four dimension could it be renormalizaed in two?..i mean if depending on the dimension a theory is renormalizable or not....when it comes to gravity..in wich dimension is renormalizable?.

b)When you have HF=dF/dt where this would be the functional schroedinguer equation with functional derivatives then if we have H=H0+Hint then if we use perturbation theory to calculate F (The functional wave)..my question if that this perturbation scheme is realted to the covariant perturbation theory.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2003 #2
    I don't know why you said doubts, but

1. Yes. Renormalizability depends on dimension of spacetime. It is essentially because power counting of momenta for your propagators depends on it. I don't know in what dimension gravity is renormalizable (It may not be in any dimension), but in (2+1) dimension it is exactly solvable even though it is not renormalizable.

2. In principle, yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?