1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some EM1 vector problems

1. Sep 10, 2005 #1
    I'm using wangsness EM book. I keep doing ch 1 #5 and keep getting 19, despite the back of the book saying -14.4

A = <2,3,-4>
    B = <-6,-4,1>

AxB = <-13, -22, 10> = D

Find the component of AXB along the direction of Vector C

C = <1,-1,1>

Now im using

CD = CDcos(theta)

Im getting 66.4º

Now, to get the component I used:

Magnitude = DCcos(66.4)

Does this method make sense?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

To get the component of D in the direction of C, you need to take the dot product of D with the unit vector in the direction of C. (Divide [itex]\vec{D} \bullet \Vec{C}[/itex] by the magnitude of C.)

(Also: Why mess around with angles when you have the components?)
  4. Sep 11, 2005 #3
    Thanks for the help, I tend to do things the hard way. I have another question:

"A family of hyperbolas in the xy plane is given by u = xy. Find the gradient of u. Given vector A = 3i + 2j + 4k find the component of A in the direction of gradient u at the point u = 3 and x = 2"

Since we know that u = 3 and x = 2, we can gather that the point of the hyperbola is x =2 and y = 3/2

Lets call this vector E

so E = 2i + (3/2)j + 0k

This problem is similiar to the previous one I asked, finding the component. So I take it since I want to find the component of A in the direction of Grad U, I will need to make E into a unit vector

U = (4/5)i + (3/5)j + 0k

Now I presume I dot U and A?

That would create

UA = (8/5) +(9/10) = 5/2
  5. Sep 11, 2005 #4
    Ignore the previous post. I was experiencing brain drain...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?