1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some force problems

1. Sep 26, 2008 #1
    Here's a couple of multiple choice problems that deal with force, friction, and the like. I need someone to check my answers. Of course, I checked them, but my reasoning could be wrong.

For 1 & 2

[​IMG]

A block of mass 3 kg, initially at rest, is pulled along a frictionless, horizontal surface with a force shown as a function of time t by the graph above.

1. The acceleration of the block at t = 2 s is
    (A) 3/4 m/s2
    (B) 4/3 m/s2
    (C) 2 m/s2
    (D) 8 m/s2
    (E) 12 m/s2

My answer: B

2. The speed of the block at t = 2s is
    (A) 4/3 m/s
    (B) 8/3 m/s
    (C) 4 m/s
    (D) 8 m/s
    (E) 24 m/s

My answer: A
    how I got it: a = (2t)/3, v = t2/3, v(2) = 4/3

For 3.

[​IMG]

3. An object weighing 300 N is suspended by means of two cords, as shown above. The tension in the horizontal cord is
    (A) 0N
    (B) 150N
    (C) 210N
    (D) 300N
    (E) 400N

My answer: D because it's 45 degrees, so the x and y components are equal.

For 4, 5 & 6

[​IMG]

4. Which figure best represents the free-body diagram for the box if it is accelerating up the ramp?
    (A) Figure A
    (B) Figure B
    (C) Figure C
    (D) Figure D
    (E) Figure E

my answer: E

5. Which figure best represents the free-body diagram for the box if it is at rest on the ramp?
    (A) Figure A
    (B) Figure B
    (C) Figure C
    (D) Figure D
    (E) Figure E

my answer: C

6. Which figure best represents the free-body diagram for the box if it is sliding down the ramp at constant speed?
    (A) Figure A
    (B) Figure B
    (C) Figure C
    (D) Figure D
    (E) Figure E

my answer: C

7. Two blocks of masses M and m, with M > m, are connected by a light string. The string passes over a frictionless pulley of negligible mass so that the blocks hang vertically. The blocks are then released from rest. What is the acceleration of the block of mass M?

A) g
    B) (M - m)g/M
    C) (M + m)g/M
    D)(M + m)g/(M - m)
    E) (M - m)g/(M + m)

my answer: E

Mg - mg = (M + m)a
    a = (M - m)g / (M + m)

8. A horizontal force F pushes a block of mass m against a vertical wall. The coefficient of friction between the block and the wall is μ. What value of F is necessary to keep the block from slipping down the wall?
    (A) mg
    (B) μmg
    (C) mg /μ
    (D) mg(1 - μ)
    (E) mg(1 + μ)

My answer: C

μF = mg
    F = mg/μ

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2008 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks like you really know your stuff! I agree with all your answers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?