How can I find the Fourier coefficients for a shifted sawtooth wave?

In summary: This method is more of a shortcut and does not require the signal to be periodic.In summary, the student is having trouble finding the Fourier coefficients for a sawtooth wave that starts from -0.1 and has a maximum amplitude of 0.4. They have been taught the basic graphs that can be described with Fourier series and the corresponding formulas, but are struggling with applying them to shifted signals. The professor suggested using Fourier properties and converting the signal into a formula over the period of -pi to pi. However, this method only works for periodic signals, so the student may need to use a Fourier Transform for aperiodic signals.
rforrevenge

Homework Statement

Recently in my signals class,we got to the chapter of Fourier series.We have learned that there are some basic graphs that can be described with Fourier series (sawtooth,square pulse etc) and so far i have understood their respective Fourier formulas.The problem i face though,is that when i have an exercise where i need to find the Fourier of a similar signal (i.e a shifted sawtooth wave),don't know how to do it.Here is a specific example:we have the Fourier series for the sawtooth wave:x(t)=1/2-[00]\sum[n=1] (4/(2n-1)^2*pi ^2) cos {(2n-1)2pi/T *t} and the question is what are the Fourier coefficients for the sawtooth wave which starts from -0.1 and the max. point (amplitude) is 0.4.Below i have attached the graph of that signal.

P.S:Sorry for my poor English.I am really looking forward to the answer.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The professor told us that it can be solved using the Fourier properties.

Attachments

• signal_1.jpg
    signal_1.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 469
Physics news on Phys.org
First, I will assume your signal goes on forever in the same manner forever. This is a requirement for using the Fourier series. It only works on periodic signals. If what you show is all there is, you want to use a Fourier Transform. It works for aperiodic signals.

Given a periodic signal, the first thing you want to to is convert the saw tooth graph into a formula for x between -pi to pi (the period of the signal). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_series about half way down for a simple example. Your signal is a bit more complicated but it can be converted by breaking it into parts that can be integrated separately and then added together.

You can use Fourier series for signals of finite duration as long as you don't care what happens before or afterwards.

1. What is a Fourier series and what is it used for?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It is used to analyze and approximate complex periodic functions, such as sound waves and electromagnetic signals, into simpler components.

2. How do you calculate a Fourier series?

To calculate a Fourier series, you need to find the coefficients of the sine and cosine functions using integration. These coefficients can then be used to construct the Fourier series equation.

3. What are the applications of Fourier series in science and engineering?

Fourier series have various applications in science and engineering, such as signal processing, image and sound compression, and solving differential equations in physics, engineering, and mathematics.

4. Can you have a Fourier series for a non-periodic function?

No, a Fourier series can only be used to represent periodic functions. However, it is possible to use Fourier transforms to analyze and approximate non-periodic functions.

5. What are the limitations of Fourier series?

Some limitations of Fourier series include its inability to accurately represent functions with sharp discontinuities or singularities, and its convergence issues for certain types of functions, such as those with infinitely many discontinuities.