1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some heat problems

1. Aug 2, 2011 #1
    Hi, I have 2 questions and an exam tomorrow, and I have no idea how my teacher answered these 2 problems, if someone can guide me through how to solve these problems i would really appreciate it. I am not looking for an answer just a step by step how to solve it and im not really sure how to start.
    For this one, i think my teacher would convert the ice to a liquid and then to a solid, and then taking taking some equation at each part, lol im not really sure

thanks in advance :)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

For the roof, I think you need to know the thermal resistance or thermal conductivity of the material of the roof. With that you can calculate the heat flow per square meter [Joules per sec per square meter] then scale it up for the room size and the time period.

For the ice to steam.

Heat the ice - what is the specific heat for ice? [it is 1 for water]
    melt the ice - what is the latent heat for melting ice?
    Heat the water
    evaportate the water - what is the latent heat of evaportation?
    heat the steam - what is the specific heat for steam?

NOTE: Suppose the latent heat for melting ice was 50 times the specific heat for water -it's NOT - the getting from ice at -10 to water at +10 would be the same as heating water from +5 to +75, ie 70 degrees.

You could convert each section to a "heating water" equivalent and do the final calculation in one go.

***Saying latent heat is 50 times specific heat I mean suppose you need X Joules to heat a mass of water by 1 degree but need 50X Joules to melt the same mass of ice.

4. Aug 2, 2011 #3

sorry, i didnt really learn this stuff. How would I go about calculating the heat flow?

and for the ice to steam, what do you mean by convert each section to a heating water equivalent?

5. Aug 2, 2011 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

If you don't immediately understand the conversions, ignore them and work it out the "standard" way.

There is a conductance [or its inverse resistance] which tells you the number of joules per second per square metre per degree difference each side. You need to cram that stuff now.

[You may have seen ceiling insulation bats. They can be R2, R3, R4 etc bats - that is referring to their thermal resistance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook