Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some help on a problem please:

1. Sep 22, 2006 #1

I'm totally new to these forums and only have knowledge of physics up to around about a first year university standard. I recently had quite an interesting idea that I wish to delve into deeper but a key flaw of this idea was that I did not understand the physics of it enough to be able to determine whether there was a chance of it being true.

I'd be very grateful if someone (or even a couple :smile: of people) would give some input by answering this question. To date I have accessed only non-physics forums and tbh the answers I have received have been poor to none.

Anyway, to the question:

Do all particles and entities (energy, radiation etc) in the universe adhere to fixed laws in their behaviour and interactivity with other particles?

I know there is probably (almost certainly) not a clear answer to this but I was hoping really to determine whether the Uncertainty Principle (or anything else that is relavent) causes random behaviour of some particles at the sub-atomic level. I am not concerned with whether such behaviour can be measured and predicted but simply am interested in whether the behaviour of a completely isolated system (isolated from ALL uncontrolled outsite intervention) will follow the same path in an infinite number of repetitions.

If the question has parts which are vague I would be more than happy to elaborate to the best of my ability.

Thanks very much to everyone,
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?