Do Particles Always Follow Fixed Laws in the Universe?

• Thread starter Hanny
  • Start date
In summary, a user named Hansen, who is new to the forums and has limited knowledge of physics, had an interesting idea but lacked understanding of the physics involved. They are asking for input on whether all particles and entities in the universe follow fixed laws in their behavior and interaction with each other. They are curious about the Uncertainty Principle and whether it causes random behavior at the sub-atomic level. They are not concerned with measurement or prediction, but rather whether a completely isolated system will follow the same path in an infinite number of repetitions. They are open to elaborating on any vague parts of their question and are grateful for any input.
Hanny
Hi,

I'm totally new to these forums and only have knowledge of physics up to around about a first year university standard. I recently had quite an interesting idea that I wish to delve into deeper but a key flaw of this idea was that I did not understand the physics of it enough to be able to determine whether there was a chance of it being true.

I'd be very grateful if someone (or even a couple :smile: of people) would give some input by answering this question. To date I have accessed only non-physics forums and tbh the answers I have received have been poor to none.

Anyway, to the question:

Do all particles and entities (energy, radiation etc) in the universe adhere to fixed laws in their behaviour and interactivity with other particles?

I know there is probably (almost certainly) not a clear answer to this but I was hoping really to determine whether the Uncertainty Principle (or anything else that is relavent) causes random behaviour of some particles at the sub-atomic level. I am not concerned with whether such behaviour can be measured and predicted but simply am interested in whether the behaviour of a completely isolated system (isolated from ALL uncontrolled outsite intervention) will follow the same path in an infinite number of repetitions.

If the question has parts which are vague I would be more than happy to elaborate to the best of my ability.

Thanks very much to everyone,
Hansen

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Hansen,

Firstly, welcome to the forums! It's great to see someone with a curious and inquisitive mind delving into the world of physics.

To answer your question, the behavior of particles and entities in the universe does indeed adhere to fixed laws. These laws are known as the laws of physics and they govern the behavior of all matter and energy in the universe. These laws have been studied and tested for centuries and have been found to hold true in every situation.

The Uncertainty Principle, which you mentioned, is one of the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and it states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This does not mean that particles behave randomly, but rather that there is a limit to our ability to measure and predict their behavior.

In an isolated system, where there is no outside intervention, the behavior of particles will follow the same path in an infinite number of repetitions. This is because the laws of physics are constant and do not change in different situations.

I hope this helps to answer your question. If you have any further questions or need clarification, don't hesitate to ask. Happy exploring!

1. How can I get help on a problem?

You can get help on a problem by reaching out to a teacher, mentor, or fellow scientist for guidance and advice. You can also do research, join online forums or communities, or utilize available resources such as textbooks or online tutorials.

2. What should I do if I am stuck on a problem?

If you are stuck on a problem, take a step back and try to understand the problem and what it is asking for. Break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and try to solve them one at a time. If you are still stuck, don't be afraid to ask for help or seek out additional resources.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

To improve your problem-solving skills, practice regularly and challenge yourself with different types of problems. Also, work on developing critical thinking and analytical skills, as well as being open-minded and willing to try new approaches.

4. What should I do if I can't solve a problem?

If you can't solve a problem, don't get discouraged. Take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. Seek out help from others or do additional research to gain a better understanding of the problem. Remember to stay persistent and keep trying until you find a solution.

5. How do I know if my solution to a problem is correct?

To determine if your solution to a problem is correct, you can double-check your work and calculations, ask for feedback from others, or compare your solution to known solutions. Additionally, you can test your solution by applying it to similar problems or real-world scenarios to see if it yields the expected results.