Some help on a tough math topic

• Thread starter irony of truth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topic
In summary, two independent random variables x and y have PDFs given by f(x) = 12x^2 (1 - x) for 0 <= x <= 1 and f(y) = 2y for 0 <= y <= 1. Their product Z = XY has PDF defined as f(z) = 12z(1 - z)^2 for 0 <= y <= 1. By using the method of statistical differentials, the approximate values for the mean and variance of Z were found to be 0.4 and 0.0377, respectively. The function g(x,y) = xy was used to compute these values, and it was found that the expected value and variance of Z were
irony of truth
"Two independent random variables x and y have PDF's given by f(x) = 12x^2 (1 - x) for 0 <= x <= 1 and f(y) = 2y for 0 <= y <= 1. Their product Z = XY has PDF defined as f(z) = 12z(1 - z)^2 for 0 <= y <= 1. Find the approximate values obtained by the method of statistical differentials."

I have already got the answer when I used the formula (not the required in the problem above) for the expected value and the variance of
12z(1 - z)^2...I got 0.4 and 0.04 respectively and the same answer resulted when I solved for E[XY] and var(XY).

But I got crazy in using the method of statistical differentials because I have not encountered this before, but the formula truncates to 3 terms( I have seen the formula)... and uses the taylor series... and I don't quite understand how to solve the problem... the answers, according to the book, for the approximate mean and variance are 0.4 and 0.0377, respectively. What must be my g(x,y) in this problem? Maybe from this, I can have an idea...

How do I solve this problem?

The book says let m_1 = E[X] and m_2 = E[Y]... the formula for the statistical differentials requires the known values for Var(X) and Var(Y) and Cov(X,Y)...

E[g(X,Y)] = g(m_1, m_2) + ½g"(x)(m_1, m_2)Var(X) + ½g"(y)(m_1, m_2)Var(Y)+ g"(x,y)(m_1, m_2)Cov(X,Y)

where g"(x) is the second partial derivative of g(x,y) wrt x;
g"(y) is the second partial derivative of g(x,y) wrt y;
g"(x,y) is the partial derivative of g(x,y) wrt y, then wrt x;

Physics news on Phys.org
irony of truth said:
What must be my g(x,y) in this problem? Maybe from this, I can have an idea...

How do I solve this problem?

Looks to me like you are supposed to be looking at g(x,y) = xy and using the PDFs of x and y to compute E(xy) and Var(xy). The given answers suggest that will be a good approximation for the values you obtained using the given PDF for z. Have you tried this?

I think I have not tried it... Hmm, my g(x,y) = xy only? Before, I used g(x,y) = 12x^2 (1 - x)2y (the product of the two functions f given above) but I don't get the answer correctly...

In the PDFs of x and y, you mean the functions f(x) and f(y)? Also, I hope I am right here... the E[XY] means that I am getting the expected value of xy12x^2 (1 - x)2y
from 0 to 1 "twice"?

irony of truth said:
I think I have not tried it... Hmm, my g(x,y) = xy only? Before, I used g(x,y) = 12x^2 (1 - x)2y (the product of the two functions f given above) but I don't get the answer correctly...

In the PDFs of x and y, you mean the functions f(x) and f(y)? Also, I hope I am right here... the E[XY] means that I am getting the expected value of xy12x^2 (1 - x)2y
from 0 to 1 "twice"?

I didn't just make up the idea that g = xy. It came from the problem statement that defined Z = XY with the given f(z). Using f(x) and f(y) and f(z) to find E(X) and E(Y) and E(Z), I find E(X) = 0.6, E(Y) = 2/3, and E(Z) = 0.4. It follows from Z=XY that

Cov(X,Y) = E(XY) - E(X)E(Y) = 0.4 - 0.6*2/3 = 0

and if g(x,y) is in fact xy, then g''(x) = g''(y) = 0 and your equation

E[g(X,Y)] = g(m_1, m_2) + ½g"(x)(m_1, m_2)Var(X) + ½g"(y)(m_1, m_2)Var(Y)+ g"(x,y)(m_1, m_2)Cov(X,Y)

reduces to

E[g(X,Y)] = g(m_1, m_2) = g(0.6, 2/3) = 0.6*2/3 = 0.4 = E(X,Y)

Looks good so far. You did not give the equation for Var[g(X,Y)], but I believe it is

var(XY) = g'(x)(m_1, m_2)^2*var(X) + 2*g'(x)(m_1, m_2)g'(y)(m_1, m_2)*Cov(X,Y) + g'(y)(m_1, m_2)^2*var(Y)

which reduces to the given answer by my calculation.

I think I should be able to verify that f(z) follows from the given f(x) and f(y), but I am not remembering exactly how to do that, and not finding it with a quick google search. Please post that if you have it handy.

OlderDan,

Thank you for the help... I got the idea how to solve for the variance when you showed how to find the expected value... 0.0377...

Now, something came into my mind... I solved for the expected value and the variance of 12z(1 - z)^2...I got 0.4 and 0.04 respectively and the same answer resulted when I solved for E[XY] and var(XY). The integrand used in finding the
E[XY] is xy12x^2(1 - x)2ydxdy... integrating twice from 0 to 1... and I got the same answer as that mentioned above... and same thing with the variance.

Are these same answers for my expected value and variance just a coincidence or is really true... I want to know why...

irony of truth said:
OlderDan,

Thank you for the help... I got the idea how to solve for the variance when you showed how to find the expected value... 0.0377...

Now, something came into my mind... I solved for the expected value and the variance of 12z(1 - z)^2...I got 0.4 and 0.04 respectively and the same answer resulted when I solved for E[XY] and var(XY). The integrand used in finding the
E[XY] is xy12x^2(1 - x)2ydxdy... integrating twice from 0 to 1... and I got the same answer as that mentioned above... and same thing with the variance.

Are these same answers for my expected value and variance just a coincidence or is really true... I want to know why...

It is not a coincicence at all. You get those results because f(z) is the appropriate function for the transformation from x,y coordinates to z,w coordintaes. The problem does not tell you what the variable w should be, and how the integral over w yields the result. I was hoping you would come up with it, but I think I've finally found it.

[tex]
f(x) = 12x^2 \left( {1 - x} \right) [/tex]

[tex] g(y) = 2y [/tex]

[tex] z = xy{\rm{\ ,\ \ }}w = \frac{1}{y} [/tex]

[tex] x = zw{\rm{\ ,\ \ }}y = \frac{1}{w} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{{\partial x}}{{\partial z}} = w{\rm{\ ,\ \ }}\frac{{\partial x}}{{\partial w}} = z{\rm{\ ,\ \ }}\frac{{\partial y}}{{\partial z}} = 0{\rm{\ ,\ \ }}\frac{{\partial y}}{{\partial w}} = - \frac{1}{{w^2 }} [/tex]

The Jacobian is

[tex] J = - \frac{1}{w} [/tex]

The tricky part is getting the limits of integration. I think this is right

[tex] \int_0^1 {\int_0^1 {12x^2 \left( {1 - x} \right)2ydydx} } = 24\int_0^1 {\int_1^{1/z} {z^2 w^2 \frac{1}{w}\left( {1 - zw} \right)\frac{{dw}}{w}} } dz = 24\int_0^1 {z^2 \int_1^{1/z} {\left( {1 - zw} \right)dw} } dz [/tex]

[tex] \int_0^1 {\int_0^1 {12x^2 \left( {1 - x} \right)2ydydx} } = 24\int_0^1 {z^2 \left( {\frac{1}{{2z}} - 1 + \frac{z}{2}} \right)} dz = 12\int_0^1 {z\left( {1 - 2z + z^2 } \right)} dz [/tex]

[tex] \int_0^1 {\int_0^1 {12x^2 \left( {1 - x} \right)2ydydx} } = 12\int_0^1 {z\left( {1 - z} \right)^2 } dz [/tex]

What is the best way to approach a difficult math topic?

The best approach to tackling a tough math topic is to break it down into smaller, more manageable concepts. Start by reviewing any relevant foundational material and then work through the more complex concepts step by step. It is also helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor, as well as utilizing online resources and practice problems.

How can I stay motivated while studying a challenging math topic?

Staying motivated while studying a difficult math topic can be challenging, but it is important to remember why you are studying it and the benefits it will bring in the long run. Set realistic and achievable goals for yourself, take breaks when needed, and reward yourself for your progress. Also, try to find ways to make the topic more engaging and interesting, such as through real-life applications or visual aids.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when learning a tough math topic?

One common mistake to avoid when learning a difficult math topic is trying to memorize formulas without understanding the underlying concepts. This can lead to confusion and errors when solving problems. It is also important to avoid rushing through problems and not fully checking your work. Another mistake to avoid is not seeking help when needed – don't be afraid to ask questions and seek clarification from a teacher or tutor.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills in a challenging math topic?

Improving problem-solving skills in a difficult math topic takes practice. Make sure to start with simpler problems and work your way up to more complex ones. It is also helpful to analyze and understand the steps involved in solving a problem, rather than just memorizing a specific approach. Additionally, try to approach problems from different angles and use different strategies to find the most efficient solution.

What are some effective study techniques for a tough math topic?

Effective study techniques for a difficult math topic include breaking down the material into smaller chunks, practicing regularly, and seeking different resources for review and practice. It can also be helpful to teach the material to someone else or to study with a group. Additionally, try to find ways to make the material more relatable and relevant to your own life. Lastly, make sure to get enough rest and take breaks to avoid burnout.