Some help on Michelson-Morley experiment

• Thread starter mathlete
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a basic math reduction problem to determine the time distance between two objects traveling in perpendicular directions with the presence of the ether affecting their speed. The issue at hand is reducing the equation to \Delta t \approx (\frac{d}{c})(\frac{v}{c})^2 when v<<c, using the binomial approximation (1+z)^n \approx 1+nz. The second issue is finding the value of L, which is the round-trip path length of the light through one of the two paths in the interferometer experiment. However, L is not given in the problem and it is uncertain what numerical value to use for the velocity of the ether.
mathlete
Not exactly, but related.

The first one seems to be a basic math reduction problem I can't figure out. I'm trying to get the time distance between to objects that travel in perpendicular directions with something affecting their speed (the ether). I have:
[tex]\Delta t = (\frac{2cd}{c^2-v^2}) - (\frac{2d}{\sqrt{c^2-v^2}})[/tex]
(If anyone knows this experiment and knows what I'm trying to find, please tell me if this is wrong... I don't know if that's the cause of my problems, but I don't really think so. If not just ignore this part)

Now I'm supposed to reduce this to (when v<<c):
[tex]\Delta t \approx (\frac{d}{c})(\frac{v}{c})^2[/tex]
But I can't seem to do it. Apparently I have to use the fact that:
[tex](1+z)^n \approx 1+nz[/tex]

The second issue I'm having is in the experiment itself. They say that "Hencethat the total change in delay time between the two paths (of light) observed as the interferometer rotates should be twice the difference calculated using the expression c (the one I'm supposed to find above)... show that this result implies that the motion of the ether at the surface of Earth is less than one sixth the speed of Earth in its orbit"

Now I have no problem doing this, I just need to plug in numbers.. but I don't know what to plug in exactly. I can solve for v (speed of ether). I have the wavelength of light they use (589 nm), and from this can find the period to use for the change in time. I know c=speed of light. But what is L supposed to be, cause it's not given in the problem. Is it the wavelength of light? When I use it I get an answer that's way too large.

Any help is appreciated :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone have an idea?

mathlete said:
[tex]\Delta t = (\frac{2cd}{c^2-v^2}) - (\frac{2d}{\sqrt{c^2-v^2}})[/tex]

First note that

[tex](c^2 - v^2) = c^2 \left(1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}\right)[/tex]

Next, note that

[tex]\frac {1}{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}} = \left(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}\right)^{-1}[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac {1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}} = \left(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}\right)^{-1/2}[/tex]

Since v << c under the conditions of the M-M experiment, this allows you to use the binomial approximation

You can use - instead of + in this formula.

But what is L supposed to be

In the equation you give, you have a d, not an L. I assume that's that what you're really asking about. It's the round-trip path length of the light through one of the two paths through the interferometer. We only count the sections that are different for the two paths, so it's twice the length of one of the "arms" (from the beamsplitter to a stationary mirror).

The lengths of the two "arms" have to be nearly equal in order to get a decent interference pattern, so it doesn't matter in practice which length you use.

jtbell said:
First note that

[tex](c^2 - v^2) = c^2 \left(1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}\right)[/tex]

Next, note that

[tex]\frac {1}{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}} = \left(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}\right)^{-1}[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac {1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}} = \left(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}\right)^{-1/2}[/tex]

Since v << c under the conditions of the M-M experiment, this allows you to use the binomial approximation

You can use - instead of + in this formula.
Ah, ok. I'll work on it some more, I'm probably missing a simple step or something

jtbell said:
In the equation you give, you have a d, not an L. I assume that's that what you're really asking about. It's the round-trip path length of the light through one of the two paths through the interferometer. We only count the sections that are different for the two paths, so it's twice the length of one of the "arms" (from the beamsplitter to a stationary mirror).

The lengths of the two "arms" have to be nearly equal in order to get a decent interference pattern, so it doesn't matter in practice which length you use.
Sorry, I forgot to mention in the original question that L=2d. That's what I thought too, that it's the length of the arm I should be using, but I'm not given that in the problem so I can't find a numerical answer for velocity of the ether :confused:

What is the Michelson-Morley experiment?

The Michelson-Morley experiment was a scientific experiment conducted in 1887 by Albert Michelson and Edward Morley to test the existence of a medium called the "ether" which was thought to be responsible for the propagation of light waves.

What was the purpose of the Michelson-Morley experiment?

The purpose of the experiment was to measure the difference in the speed of light in different directions, with the assumption that if there was an ether, the speed of light would vary depending on the direction of travel relative to the ether.

What were the results of the Michelson-Morley experiment?

The experiment showed that there was no detectable difference in the speed of light in different directions, contradicting the prevailing theory of the existence of an ether. This result was later incorporated into Einstein's theory of special relativity.

Why is the Michelson-Morley experiment significant?

The Michelson-Morley experiment is significant because it provided evidence that contradicted the established theories of the time, and ultimately led to the development of the theory of special relativity and a better understanding of the nature of light and the universe.

Are there any modern versions of the Michelson-Morley experiment?

Yes, there have been modern versions of the experiment using more advanced technology and techniques, all of which have consistently confirmed the original results. These experiments continue to be used in ongoing research and studies related to the nature of light and the universe.