Simplify Sets: U={1-14} and C={1-5}. Find C union complement of U in easy steps!

• Thread starter hikki_pop
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the conversation discusses the answer to the question of what C U U' would be if the universal set is {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14} and C is a subset of the universal set. It also raises the issue of whether the universal set and the universe of discourse are the same or different. The different possibilities for the answer are explored, including the possibility of the universal set being empty.
hikki_pop
can anyone tell me the answer to this??

if
U (universal set) = {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14}
C (just a simple subset of the universal set U)= {1,2,3,4,5}

then what would be the answer if:

C U U' ? (subset C union universal set complement)

:yuck: thanks !

sorry for the double post! please delete this one!

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you need to also include your universe of discourse?

If your universe of discourse is the natural numbers then,...

C U U' would be {1,2,3,4,5} U {15,16,17,...}

If your universe of discourse is the integers then,...

C U U' would be {... -3,-2,-1,0} U {1,2,3,4,5} U {15,16,17,...}

For other universes of discourse it could get ugly. :surprise:

Edited to add the following possibility,...

If your universe of discourse is U then U' is the empty set so,...

C U U' would be just be {1,2,3,4,5}

Last edited:
Neutron star: the original post said "U (universal set) = 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14}.

That is the "unverse of discourse".

HallsofIvy said:
Neutron star: the original post said "U (universal set) = 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14}.

That is the "unverse of discourse".
That's normally what I would assume too, but I've found that different people use different notations including college professors and textbook authors. I've seen the term universal set used to refer to a specific set while the author (or professor) continues to treat the problem as though the universe of discourse is still the natural numbers.

I would agree that they are technically incorrect in doing this. But they seem to do it quite often just the same. I've actually confronted a college professor about this once and all I got in return was a lecture on the difference between a universal set and the universe of discourse.

Don't look at me. I'm with you! As far as I'm concerned professors and authors who think there is a difference are wrong. But since its an imperfect universe (no pun intended) I like to cover all my bases. :approve:

What is a set in mathematics?

A set in mathematics is a collection of distinct objects or elements. These elements can be anything, such as numbers, letters, or even other sets.

What is the difference between a set and a subset?

A subset is a set that is contained within another set. This means that all of the elements in the subset are also found in the larger set. A set can have multiple subsets, and a subset can also be the same as the larger set.

How are sets typically represented?

Sets are typically represented using curly braces { } and listing the elements inside. For example, a set of even numbers between 1 and 10 can be represented as {2, 4, 6, 8, 10}.

What is the cardinality of a set?

The cardinality of a set is the number of elements in the set. It can be denoted by |S|, where S is the set. For example, if a set has 5 elements, its cardinality would be 5.

What are some common operations on sets?

Some common operations on sets include union, intersection, and complement. Union combines two sets and removes any duplicate elements. Intersection finds the common elements between two sets. Complement finds all the elements that are not in a set.