1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some help please on a Question

1. Sep 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This has had me puzzled for a few hours now,
    Its about forces acting down a plane.

Q. A car of a mass (m) is travelling with a constant velocity up a hill at an angle (any angle - theta ) to the horizontal as indicated

If F is the resultant force acting on the car, the effective engine force needed to maintain this consant velocity must be
    A = mgcos(theta) + F
    B = mgcos(theta) - F
    C = mgsin(theta) + F
    D = mgsin(theta) - F
    E = mg + Fsin(theta)

Any help will be apprieciated

My work

I tried making up values for the equations. It worked but it didnt really match the equations matched in the answer.
    Fh = fcos(theta) Horizontal Force
    Fv = fsin(theta) Vertical Force

As its horizontal I have igonred the answers with sin. But I somehow dont know why it either has to be plus or minus F. Would that not equal an unbalanced force.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What is the meaning of "Resultant Force"? Resultant of what? (It can't mean net force, since the car is moving at constant velocity.)
  4. Sep 13, 2007 #3
    the result of all the friction acting on it

Basically just the friction
  5. Sep 13, 2007 #4

Homework Helper

what is the net force acting on the car (not the resultant force, but the net force)?
  6. Sep 13, 2007 #5
    Net force ?

The question dosnt give any values. Its to try and find the correct formula that would work.
    All the info Im given is shown there
  7. Sep 13, 2007 #6

Homework Helper

hint: the car is moving at a constant velocity... this information should let you know what the net force acting on the car is.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?