Some help understanding integrals and calculus in general

In summary: Sorry for being so confused!In summary, the fundamental theorem of calculus states that the area under a curve is equal to the sum of the derivative of each point on the curve with respect to that point's coordinate.
Stephen Tashi said:
Yes. Keep in mind the FTC assumes the original function must satisfy certain conditions, but you grasp the basic idea.
I still have one more thing I'm uncomfortable with (last paragraph of post 34): If this is essentially what the FTC does, then what does the bit on Wikipedia about all continuous functions having integrals? I mean, in the proof, we are assuming a continuous function and then taking the indefinite integral of it.

...and then differentiating it, which implies F is a differentiable function, meaning that f has to be continuous? Is this why Wikipedia says what it says?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose g is continuous and f = ∫g. Then you also know that df/dx = g. But there are other functions, h, where dh/dx = g almost everywhere and h ≠ ∫g. An example is h = f+c, where c is the Cantor function. That is why articles like Wikipedia have to state things carefully. So for any continuous function, g, there is guaranteed to be one function, f, which is the anti-derivative of g, but there may be other functions like h that complicate things.

Likes Sho Kano
FactChecker said:
Suppose g is continuous and f = ∫g. Then you also know that df/dx = g. But there are other functions, h, where dh/dx = g almost everywhere and h ≠ ∫g. An example is h = f+c, where c is the Cantor function. That is why articles like Wikipedia have to state things carefully. So for any continuous function, g, there is guaranteed to be one function, f, which is the anti-derivative of g, but there may be other functions like h that complicate things.
So what I have from this is that it guarantees an anti-derivative, but not all, such as special cases as the cantor function.

Sho Kano said:
Is this why Wikipedia says what it says?

I'm not sure exactly which passage in the Wikipedia you are thinking about - and I haven't watched the videos of the proof of the FTC. Which proof are you talking about? - the videos or the Wikipedia's ?

Sho Kano said:
I meant the section on Wikipedia saying "This part of the theorem guarantees the existence of antiderivatives for continuous functions.[2]"
But you spoke of continuous functions "having integrals", not about them having antiderivatives.

what the FTC does, then what does the bit on Wikipedia about all continuous functions having integrals?

Stephen Tashi said:
But you spoke of continuous functions "having integrals", not about them having antiderivatives.
This really ties back to what FactChecker said right? I'm thinking anti-derivatives are a whole set of things, while indefinite integrals are one specific set, or a kind of anti-derivative (kinda like a special case). That's why Wikipedia has to be careful with what they write down.

Interesting you should suggest Newton might not care about the area under a curve. The area "under a curve" in Cartesian coordinates is similar to the area with in a region between two values of theta bounded by the corresponding radius vectors ( in polar coordinates). Newton was super-interested in this area.

Newton realized Kepler's 2nd law, which states the orbit of the planets sweep out equal areas in equal time is a consequence of the conservation of angular momentum. Newton showed the ellipse (see Kepler's first law) follows from Newton's law and an inverse square gravity source at the ellipse focus. Suffice it to say Newton would have been very interested in areal regions between curves.

Newton was pretty smart.

Likes FactChecker