Some help with matrices please

• MHB
  • Thread starter pHlawless
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, the conversation discusses a potential solution to a problem given by a professor, but there is uncertainty due to a possible typo that could change the solution. The suggested solution is (x,y,z)=(3,4,2), but it is recommended to check with the professor before drawing any conclusions.
pHlawless
My professor gave us this problem and said its a trick question. I think I have an answer but don't want to submit it in case I am totally off. Anyone mind double checking this for me to make sure I'm not way off base?
I think the answer is the following:
Z = 2
X = 4
y = 3Am I way off base? Seemed too easy lolThanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If the problem had read:

\(\displaystyle \left[\begin{array}{c}1 & 2 \\ x & 5 \\ x+y & 8 \end{array}\right]=\left[\begin{array}{c}1 & z \\ 3 & 5 \\ 7 & 8 \end{array}\right]\)

or:

\(\displaystyle \left[\begin{array}{c}1 & 2 \\ x & 6 \\ x+y & 8 \end{array}\right]=\left[\begin{array}{c}1 & z \\ 3 & 6 \\ 7 & 8 \end{array}\right]\)

then I would say:

\(\displaystyle (x,y,z)=(3,4,2)\)

However, the circled elements changes things:

\(\displaystyle \left[\begin{array}{c}1 & 2 \\ x & \enclose{circle}[mathcolor="red"]{\color{black}{5}} \\ x+y & 8 \end{array}\right]=\left[\begin{array}{c}1 & z \\ 3 & \enclose{circle}[mathcolor="red"]{\color{black}{6}} \\ 7 & 8 \end{array}\right]\)

Okay, so because of that does that mean there is no possible solutions?

pHlawless said:
Okay, so because of that does that mean there is no possible solutions?

Yes, I would be inclined to say there is no solution, however, I am no expert in linear algebra, and you may want to hear from someone who is before drawing any conclusions yet. :D

I agree with Mark. Two matrices are equal if and only if they have the same dimensions $(m \times n$ for example) and the same entries in all positions. My guess would be that this is a typo and that Mark's solution is the one that is intended, but it would be good to check with your professor.

1. What are matrices and why are they important?

Matrices are rectangular arrays of numbers or symbols arranged in rows and columns. They are important in mathematics and science because they allow us to represent and manipulate complex sets of data, equations, and relationships between variables.

2. How do I perform basic operations on matrices?

To perform basic operations on matrices, such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication, you need to make sure that the matrices have the same dimensions. Then, you can simply add, subtract, or multiply corresponding elements in the matrices to get the resulting matrix.

3. What is the difference between a row matrix and a column matrix?

A row matrix has only one row and multiple columns, while a column matrix has only one column and multiple rows. Row matrices are typically used to represent data or information that is organized horizontally, while column matrices are used for data organized vertically.

4. How do I find the inverse of a matrix?

To find the inverse of a matrix, you can use the inverse matrix formula or the Gauss-Jordan elimination method. Both methods involve manipulating the elements of the matrix to get a new matrix, which is the inverse of the original matrix. It is important to note that not all matrices have an inverse.

5. Can matrices be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, matrices can be used to solve a variety of real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. They can help us model and analyze complex systems, make predictions, and find optimal solutions to problems.