Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some icons not displaying

1. Sep 21, 2014 #1

strangerep

Science Advisor

I get lots of little squares containing stuff like "F032", "F011", and so on.

When I position my cursor over them, I see they're obviously meant to be icons -- because the correct name pops up.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2014 #2

DataGG

Gold Member

Perhaps taking a screenshot would help. I don't see such behaviour. Are you using any add-on that could be blocking images?

4. Sep 21, 2014 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Definitely post a screenshot.

Clearing your cache shouldn't hurt as well.

5. Sep 21, 2014 #4
    Clear your browser cache

6. Sep 21, 2014 #5
    I have the same problem, but I know what the cause is (for me). These icons are actually downloadable fonts from a third party. NoScript blocks them by default. At one time there was a security vulnerability with FireFox and downloadable fonts. I haven't been able to find out if this has been corrected so I am reluctant to allow these objects to be downloaded. If they were just ordinary gif images it would not be a problem.

7. Sep 21, 2014 #6

TumblingDice

Gold Member

At the risk of adding smoke to the fire: I've noticed Greg "juggling" forum resources between servers as he strives to do his best. Yesterday I was prompted on several occasions by my browsers telling me that the security certificate was not valid for the current PF server. (This happens when you're playing three-card monte to keep the website available.) Around the same time I also noticed a couple of text areas that displayed the "Fnnn" numbers. Wondering if your browser wasn't downloading the req'd bits because of the certificate mis-match.

8. Sep 21, 2014 #7
    Ok, allowing scripts globally make the unicode placeholder into icons.
    So, it is not a unicode problem of my installation.
    Any hint on what site to whitelist? I cannot surf the web with my shields down. There are Romulans out there.

9. Sep 21, 2014 #8
    No, it's just NoScript blocking them in my case. I will keep them blocked for the time being until I have time to learn more about it. I was hit with malware two times about 6 years ago. Since then I've been using FireFox with NoScript and I haven't had any incidents.

10. Sep 21, 2014 #9
  11. Sep 22, 2014 #10

strangerep

Science Advisor

OK,... let see if I can do this...

snapshot1.png snapshot2.png snapshot3.png snapshot4.png

[Edit: and... I just found another problem. When I click on one of my thumbnails above, it doesn't display. Just a very dark overlay screen where the image is obviously meant to appear, but there's no actual image.

Clearing my cache makes no difference.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  12. Sep 22, 2014 #11
  13. Sep 22, 2014 #12

strangerep

Science Advisor

Thanks. I unchecked "Forbid @font-face", but it made no difference, even after reloading the page.
    [Hmm, or do I need to restart Firefox?]
    [Edit: no, that made no difference.]

14. Sep 22, 2014 #13
    Did you white list the CDNs?

15. Sep 22, 2014 #14

strangerep

Science Advisor

In the popup NoScript list, I don't see anything about "CDN". Or does it go by some other url?

16. Sep 22, 2014 #15
  17. Sep 22, 2014 #16

strangerep

Science Advisor

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2014
  18. Sep 22, 2014 #17
    Try white listing maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com

19. Sep 22, 2014 #18
    That's what made the trick for me.

20. Sep 22, 2014 #19

strangerep

Science Advisor

Thanks, I just tried that but... no effect. :L

That's because, having a too-open mind means some your brains can fall out.

21. Sep 23, 2014 #20
    Yeah, I do not use JavaScript, I hope we can support a working fallback version.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook