Some in U.S. voting with their feet

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
VANCOUVER, British Columbia Christopher Key knows exactly what he would be giving up if he left Bellingham, Washington.

"It's the sort of place Norman Rockwell would paint, where everyone watches out for everyone else and we have block parties every year," said Key, a 56-year-old Vietnam War veteran and former magazine editor who lists Francis Scott Key, who wrote "The Star-Spangled Banner," among his ancestors.

But leave it he intends to do, and as soon as he can. His house is on the market, and he is busily seeking work across the border in Canada. For him, the re-election of George W. Bush was the last straw.

"I love the United States," he said as he stood on the Vancouver waterfront, staring toward the Coastal Range, which was lost in a gray shroud. "I fought for it in Vietnam. It's a wrenching decision to think about leaving. But America is turning into a country very different from the one I grew up believing in." [continued]
http://iht.com/bin/print_ipub.php?file=/articles/2005/02/06/news/refuge.html

Answers and Replies

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Approximately 45-50 million people did not vote for either Bush or Kerry, and they just didn't vote.

Bush only got about 36% of the elligible vote.

It does not help to walk or run away from a problem. One must take a stand and do one's best to change the system for the better.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You have a long battle ahead. For us, there is the reality of time.

I would start by making sure that every student who graduates from high school has a clear understanding of, and due respect for the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. When everyone understands that these alone define everything the US has ever been, then you will have a beginning.

Ivan Seeking said:
You have a long battle ahead. For us, there is the reality of time.

I would start by making sure that every student who graduates from high school has a clear understanding of, and due respect for the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. When everyone understands that these alone define everything the US has ever been, then you will have a beginning.
How about those kids who are swearing in? They take an oath to support and defend the constitution but they never read it?!?:uhh:

Instead, they just take orders. Sad and dangerous!

Any thoughts on the Iran invasion?

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I try not to think about it.

PerennialII
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Really glad to hear people voting with their feet and caring that much !

Curious3141
Homework Helper
If your leader can talk with his arse, people can vote with their feet ! :rofl:

member 5645
I guess that is simpler than leading a campaign for change.

I would never just leave the US; well, until my right to a fair and speedy trial was removed. Which it was. Did the supreme court do enough to stop what bush/ashcroft started? They certainly didn't do it fast enough.

Some of the things the bush administration has done are just so obviously immoral. How much of my taxes are spent on those things? How responsible does that make me? I also believe the US does good things, so leaving would make me not a part of those things too. Is it worth it?

Hard questions.

PerennialII said:
Really glad to hear people voting with their feet and caring that much !
Actually per, I am too british(german, scotish, irish, and with a dash of cherokee) to really stand for any of it!!! :grumpy:

I'm ready and willing, arh ya willing ta organise ladd?!?

Thar blud shall bu sufficiant price if ya knaw what I meen??? :bugeye:

Theeese pansies frum Da Ca shuld paey thu priece! :tongue2:

Thay havn't rally leeved ef ya knaw whut eye meen! Thyme ta teech thum a lusson! :rofl:

Phuk'm,so thay tall thu c'mmun man! Thyme to geeve thum a taeste uv thar uwn meducene! :rofl:

(I'm only abiding by the Jeffersonian mandate!)

Last edited:
PerennialII
Science Advisor
Gold Member
polyb said:
Actually per, I am too british(german, scotish, irish, and with a dash of cherokee) to really stand for any of it!!! :grumpy:

I'm ready and willing, arh ya willing ta organise ladd?!?

Thar blud shall bu sufficiant price if ya knaw what I meen??? :bugeye:

Theeese pansies frum Da Ca shuld paey thu priece! :tongue2:

Thay havn't rally leeved ef ya knaw whut eye meen! Thyme ta teech thum a lusson! :rofl:

Phuk'm,so thay tall thu c'mmun man! Thyme to geeve thum a taeste uv thar uwn meducene! :rofl:

(I'm only abiding by the Jeffersonian mandate!)
1st read was a bit :confused: and the 2nd was :biggrin: ... shouldn't think when reading.

PerennialII said:
1st read was a bit :confused: and the 2nd was :biggrin: ... shouldn't think when reading.
That was my best or worst imititation of a priate of sorts, I guess!:biggrin: