Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some insects bit me

1. Jun 17, 2005 #1
    Today is not very cool, it's hot.

I went out with some of my friends to....look things.
    I went to a bush to see some strange flowers but when I got out, there are some black ant-like insects biting my arms.
    I went home and now looked again my arms, very very round red spots with black small round dots in the middle, right where those had biten me. I know these insects when bit people, they would leave their heads inside after they get hit and die. I don't know if anyone of you know how to get those heads out ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2005 #2
    Its a tick?

I don't know much about insects. My country has only harmless ones.

If it is a tick the whole creature is in there. Ticks are parasitic arachnids. It sucks your blood and releases blood thinning chemicals which make red spots and it becomes very itchy. Look here: http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=tick bite&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=wi

You need to get the whole creature out to prevent infection to the minimal. Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tick . Or use google.

Ticks may carry Lyme disease and the ones that do might infect you. It's a nasty disease. Apart from Lyme they are quite harmless. At least the ones that live in my country. I am sure they may carry other diseases in other countries.

4. Jun 18, 2005 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should go and see you family doctor and get medical advice, this is not the right place to get it.

5. Jun 18, 2005 #4
    If they were just bite marks I would probably say, it happens, but the fact that there are black spots there is concerning to me. I can't recall anything that leaves those kind of marks.
    I would definately suggest checking up with your doctor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?