Insect Bites: What to Do When You Get Bit

In summary: There could be a possibility of an infection or a reaction to the insect bites. It's always better to be safe than sorry. In summary, the speaker went out with friends and got bitten by black ant-like insects while looking at flowers. They are concerned because the bites have left round red spots with black dots in the middle, possibly indicating that the insects left their heads inside. The speaker is unsure how to remove the heads and is worried about potential infections or diseases. Other participants suggest seeking medical advice from a doctor.
Persefone
Today is not very cool, it's hot.

I went out with some of my friends to...look things.
I went to a bush to see some strange flowers but when I got out, there are some black ant-like insects biting my arms.
I went home and now looked again my arms, very very round red spots with black small round dots in the middle, right where those had biten me. I know these insects when bit people, they would leave their heads inside after they get hit and die. I don't know if anyone of you know how to get those heads out ?

Biology news on Phys.org
Its a tick?

I don't know much about insects. My country has only harmless ones.

If it is a tick the whole creature is in there. Ticks are parasitic arachnids. It sucks your blood and releases blood thinning chemicals which make red spots and it becomes very itchy. Look here: http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=tick bite&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=wi

You need to get the whole creature out to prevent infection to the minimal. Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tick . Or use google.

Ticks may carry Lyme disease and the ones that do might infect you. It's a nasty disease. Apart from Lyme they are quite harmless. At least the ones that live in my country. I am sure they may carry other diseases in other countries.

Persefone said:
I went home and now looked again my arms, very very round red spots with black small round dots in the middle, right where those had biten me.
You should go and see you family doctor and get medical advice, this is not the right place to get it.

If they were just bite marks I would probably say, it happens, but the fact that there are black spots there is concerning to me. I can't recall anything that leaves those kind of marks.
I would definitely suggest checking up with your doctor.

1. What are the most common types of insect bites?

The most common types of insect bites are from mosquitoes, ticks, fleas, bed bugs, and spiders.

2. How can I identify an insect bite?

Insect bites usually appear as small red bumps or welts on the skin. They may also be itchy, swollen, and painful. In some cases, you may see a small puncture or bite mark in the center of the bump.

3. What should I do if I get bitten by an insect?

If you get bitten by an insect, you should wash the affected area with soap and water. You can also apply a cold compress to reduce swelling and itching. If the bite is painful or shows signs of an allergic reaction, seek medical attention.

4. How long does it take for an insect bite to heal?

The healing time for an insect bite varies depending on the type of insect and your body's reaction to the bite. In general, most insect bites heal within a few days to a week. However, some bites may take longer to heal or may require medical treatment.

5. How can I prevent insect bites?

To prevent insect bites, you can use insect repellent, wear long-sleeved clothing and pants when outdoors, avoid areas with high insect activity, and keep your living space clean and free of standing water. It's also important to check your body for ticks after spending time outside and to remove them promptly to prevent disease transmission.