1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some linear transformation

1. Jan 16, 2008 #1
    Question 1
    Let T: P2 -> M22 be a linear transformation such that

[tex]
    T(1+t)=\left[\begin{array}{cc}1&0\\0&0\end{array}
    \right];[/tex]
    [tex]
    T(t+t^{2})=\left[\begin{array}{cc}0&1\\1&0\end{array}
    \right];[/tex]
    [tex]
    T(1+t^{2})=\left[\begin{array}{cc}0&1\\0&1\end{array}
    \right];[/tex]
    Then find[tex] T(1),T(t),T(t^{2})[/tex]

My attempt
    All I know is that [tex] 1,t,t^{2}[/tex] are basis of P2, what do I do next?
    How do I find them from given matrices?

Question 2

let dim(v)=n and dim(W)=m and P:V->W be a linear transformation, i.e P(v)=0 for all v in V. Show that the matrix of P with respect to any bases for V and W is the mxn zero matrix.
    My attempt
    Let S be a basis of V S={v1,v2,.........vn}
    Let v a vector in v
    [tex]v=c1v1+c2v2+ ....cnvn[/tex]

[tex]P(v)=c1w1+c2w2+ ............+cnwm=0[/tex]
    Because vectors of S are linearly independant c1,c2 ...... cn are all 0
    So the resultant matrix of P is a zero matrix

Question 3

Let L:V->W be a linear transformation. show that L is one to one if and only if dim(range L)=dim(V)
    My attempt:
    We know that dim(V)=dim(range L)+dim(ker L) (1)
    if dim(V)>dim(range L) then dim(ker L) is not 0 and L is not One to one
    if dim(V)=dim(range L) then dim(V)-dim(range L) = dim(ker L)
    and dim(ker L)=0 hence L is one to one.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2008 #2

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Lets take one at a time. For the first one, notice that T is a linear transformation. What does that imply?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  4. Jan 16, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You just stated [itex]T(1), T(2), T(t^2)[/tex]!? Don't you mean "find T(p) where p is any member of P2"? As Siddharth said, T is linear. Any member of P2 can be written at2+ bt+ c. What is T(at2+ at+ b)?

[/quote]My attempt
    All I know is that [tex] 1,t,t^{2}[/tex] are basis of P2, what do I do next?
    How do I find them from given matrices?

Question 2

let dim(v)=n and dim(W)=m and P:V->W be a linear transformation, i.e P(v)=0 for all v in V. Show that the matrix of P with respect to any bases for V and W is the mxn zero matrix.
    My attempt
    Let S be a basis of V S={v1,v2,.........vn}
    Let v a vector in v
    [tex]v=c1v1+c2v2+ ....cnvn[/tex]

[tex]P(v)=c1w1+c2w2+ ............+cnwm=0[/tex]
    Because vectors of S are linearly independant c1,c2 ...... cn are all 0
    So the resultant matrix of P is a zero matrix[/quote]
    Your final equaiton, P(v)= c1w1+ c2w2+ ...+ cnwn= 0, is in W- it says NOTHING about "the vectors of S". If it were true that "c1, c2, ..., cn are all 0", then v would be the 0 vector- and that is not, in general true. Remember that you can write a linear transformation, L:V->W, in given bases for V and W by applying L to each basis vector in V in turn, then writing the result in the basis in W. The coefficients then form a column for the matrix. If {v2, v2, ..., vn} is a basis for V, what is P(v1)? What is P(v2)?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  5. Jan 16, 2008 #4
    Question 1 is formulated correctly. They want [tex]T(1);T(t);T(t^{2})[/tex].
    Some one has suggested that :
    [tex]T(1)=1/2( T(1+t) - T(t+t^{2}) + T(1+t^{2}) ))[/tex]
    becaused T being a linear transformation when the RHS expression is developed it yields [tex]T(1)[/tex]. The problem is solved by replacing T(...) in the RHS expression by their given matrices.
    In the same way we can find [tex] T(t) [/tex] and [tex] T(t^{2})[/tex]

6. Jan 16, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

My mistake. I misread. You are NOT given T(1), T(t), and T(t2) as I thought. You are given T(1+ t), T(1+ t2) and T(t+ t2).

Yes, that would work, although I would be inclined to wonder HOW you noticed that
    [tex]T(1)=1/2( T(1+t) - T(t+t^{2}) + T(1+t^{2}) ))[/tex]!

Siddharth's original suggestion was to use linearity to say that
    [tex]1: T(1+t)= T(1)+ T(t)= \left[\begin{array}{cc}1&0\\0&0\end{array}\right];[/tex]
    [tex]2: T(t+t^{2})= T(t)+ T(t^2)= \left[\begin{array}{cc}0&1\\1&0\end{array}\right];[/tex]
    [tex]3:T(1+t^{2})=T(1)+ T(t^2)= \left[\begin{array}{cc}0&1\\0&1\end{array}\right];[/tex]
    Now treat those as three equations in the three unknown matrices, T(1), T(t), T(t2). For example, adding (1) and (3) gives the equation 2T(1)+ T(t)+ T(t2)= a matrix. Subtracting (2) from that gives 2T(1)= a matrix, giving the equation you have. You can similarly solve for T(t) and T(t2).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?