Some math met in EM hw solution

• Thread starter tigigi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Em
In summary, the conversation discusses the steps involved in simplifying the equation 1 - z / (R^2 + Z^2) ^1/2 = 1- (1+ (R/Z)^2) ^-1/2, which involves dividing both the numerator and denominator by "z" and using the binomial theorem or a 2nd degree Taylor polynomial approximation. The last step may involve taking a limit to make the approximation more accurate. The conversation also includes a question about how to format text in a white block.
tigigi
I got this :

1 - z / (R^2 + Z^2) ^1/2 = 1- (1+ (R/Z)^2) ^-1/2
= 1 - 1 + (1/2) ( R/Z )^2

I'm confused why it got all these steps. it seems like taylor expansion ? or ?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, it is confusing to me that you are using both Z and z. Are they the same thing?

I can't speak for WHY they are doing this but how they do the first line is evident: Divide both numerator and denominator of the second term by "z". In the numerator you get z/z= 1, in the denominator the "z" becomes "z2" inside the square root: [itex]\sqrt{R^2/z^2+ z^2/z^2}= \sqrt{1+ (R/z)^2}[/itex]. That is NOT exactly equal to the last line. The last line is an approximation. Yes, you could think of it as a 2nd[/b] degree Taylor polynomial approximation. You could also think of it as a special case of the binomial theorem- extended to fractional powers. Just as (1+ x)n= 1+ nx to first degree, [itex](1+ (R/z)^2)^(-1/2)[/itex] is [itex]1+ (-1/2)(R/z)[/itex]. Of course, now the "1" and "-1" will cancel. To second degree, 1- z/(R2+ z2)-1/2= (1/2)(R/z)2. I assume the next step will involve a limit as R goes to 0 or z goes to infinity or at least that (R/z) is small to make the approximation as accurate as possible.

Thank you so much. I got it now.
btw, could I ask another question that how do you get those words in white block like that ? Thank you. I appreciate it.

1. What is the purpose of "Some math met in EM hw solution"?

The purpose of "Some math met in EM hw solution" is to solve problems related to electromagnetism using mathematical equations and principles.

2. What are some common topics covered in "Some math met in EM hw solution"?

Some common topics covered in "Some math met in EM hw solution" include vector calculus, Maxwell's equations, electric and magnetic fields, and electromagnetic waves.

3. How can "Some math met in EM hw solution" be helpful for understanding electromagnetism?

"Some math met in EM hw solution" can be helpful for understanding electromagnetism by providing a systematic approach to solving problems and visualizing electromagnetic phenomena through mathematical models and equations.

4. Are there any prerequisites for using "Some math met in EM hw solution"?

Yes, some prerequisites for using "Some math met in EM hw solution" include a basic understanding of calculus, vector algebra, and principles of electromagnetism.

5. Can "Some math met in EM hw solution" be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, "Some math met in EM hw solution" can be applied to real-world situations, as it provides a mathematical framework for understanding and analyzing electromagnetic phenomena, which has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and telecommunications.