Solving Math Problem: sqrt (a^2 - a [delta] d) = a - sqrt(a [delta] d)?

• Thread starter IB
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to simplify the expression sqrt (a^2 - a [delta] d) and how to write mathematics using LaTeX. The correct way to simplify the expression is to distribute the root over multiplication and division, not addition and subtraction. An example is provided to demonstrate this. The conversation also includes a link to a guide on using LaTeX and a thank you to VietDao29 for their help.
IB
Suppose I have sqrt (a^2 - a [delta] d). What do I do? Do I do like this: sqrt (a^2 - a [delta] d) = a - sqrt(a [delta] d)? Thanks.

PS: One more thing. How to write mathematics with latex?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is sqrt (a^2 - a [delta] d) equal to? or are you asking to simplify it?

Yeah. I was just wondering whether it can still be simplified.

Depending on what you want to do, a differential approximation, or maybe a Taylor sum, might be useful.

But as for algebraic manipulation, what you did is wrong. roots and exponents (usually) distribute over multiplication (and division), not addition (and subtraction).

Hurkyl said:
But as for algebraic manipulation, what you did is wrong. roots and exponents (usually) distribute over multiplication (and division), not addition (and subtraction).

Could you give an example to demonstrate that? And how can I correct my wrong algebraic manipulation? Thanks.

Say a = 5, and delta d = 9 / 5.
So:
[tex]\sqrt{a ^ 2 - a \Delta d} = \sqrt{5 ^ 2 - 5 \times \frac{9}{5}} = \sqrt{25 - 9} = \sqrt{16} = 4[/tex]
And:
[tex]a - \sqrt{a \Delta d} = 5 - \sqrt{5 \times \frac{9}{5}} = 5 - \sqrt{9} = 5 - 3 = 2[/tex]
And 4 is not 2.
Viet Dao,

Thanks, VietDao29.

1. What is the purpose of solving this math problem?

The purpose of solving this math problem is to find the value of the variable, "a", that satisfies the given equation.

2. How do I begin to solve this equation?

The first step is to isolate the square root terms on one side of the equation by subtracting "a" from both sides. This will result in "sqrt(a^2 - a[delta]d) = -sqrt(a[delta]d)".

3. What is the next step after isolating the square root terms?

Next, square both sides of the equation to eliminate the square root. This will result in "a^2 - a[delta]d = a[delta]d".

4. How do I solve for "a" in this equation?

Combine like terms on the left side of the equation to get "a^2 - 2a[delta]d = 0". Then, use the quadratic formula to solve for "a".

5. Are there any restrictions on the values of "a" and "d" in this equation?

Yes, in order for the equation to have a real solution, the value of "a" must be greater than or equal to zero and the value of "d" must be greater than zero.