Some mean/variance problems (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Ok I am stuck up deriving the 'variance for Binomial Distribution' and mean for the 'Hypergeometric distribution '

For variance part , I first derived that variance can be written as =(second moment about origin) - (square of mean)

But I am having trouble calaculating the second moment about the origin .Please can sum1 tell me sum site which can help me?

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor
to get the "second moment about the mean" you need to sum i2P(i) for i= 0 to n. For the binomial distribution, with probabilities p, 1-p, P(i)= nCipi(1-p)n-i. That is, you are summing
[tex]\Sum_{i=0}^n _nC_i i^2 p^i (1-p)^{n-i}[/tex]
Can you relate that to the binomial theorem?

HallsofIvy said:
to get the "second moment about the mean" you need to sum i2P(i) for i= 0 to n. For the binomial distribution, with probabilities p, 1-p, P(i)= nCipi(1-p)n-i. That is, you are summing
Can you relate that to the binomial theorem?
thats where I am stuck , I dont know how to solve this binomial further , its been a long time since I did Binomial, maybe lack of practice..

please sum1 help.

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor
Look at this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/asguru/maths/14statistics/03binomialdistribution/12meanandvariance/index.shtml [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
ok I read it , thats a good way to prove the mean of Binomial Distribution , but I want the proof for variance of Binomial , I want to solve it the same way as I told above.

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor
Then keep reading! The first half of the page gives a very simple way of deriving the mean (Since one trial the value is either 0 or 1, the mean is 0*(1-p)+ 1(p)= p. Since trials are independent, the mean of n trials is the sum of the means of each: np) the second half of the page derives the variance in the same way.

ok thanx , I got hold of that idea.

One more thing , can u pls tell me how ot solve this thing:

I am interested to know this.!

More detail please?

Hi, I think that web page is too trivial. Do you know a more detail page? Thanks!

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving