Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Some mean/variance problems

1. Mar 21, 2006 #1
    Ok I am stuck up deriving the 'variance for Binomial Distribution' and mean for the 'Hypergeometric distribution '

For variance part , I first derived that variance can be written as =(second moment about origin) - (square of mean)

But I am having trouble calaculating the second moment about the origin .Please can sum1 tell me sum site which can help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

to get the "second moment about the mean" you need to sum i2P(i) for i= 0 to n. For the binomial distribution, with probabilities p, 1-p, P(i)= nCipi(1-p)n-i. That is, you are summing
    [tex]\Sum_{i=0}^n _nC_i i^2 p^i (1-p)^{n-i}[/tex]
    Can you relate that to the binomial theorem?

4. Mar 21, 2006 #3
    thats where I am stuck , I dont know how to solve this binomial further , its been a long time since I did Binomial, maybe lack of practice..

5. Mar 22, 2006 #4
    please sum1 help.

6. Mar 23, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Look at this:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/asguru/maths/14statistics/03binomialdistribution/12meanandvariance/index.shtml [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  7. Mar 23, 2006 #6
    ok I read it , thats a good way to prove the mean of Binomial Distribution , but I want the proof for variance of Binomial , I want to solve it the same way as I told above.

8. Mar 23, 2006 #7

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Then keep reading! The first half of the page gives a very simple way of deriving the mean (Since one trial the value is either 0 or 1, the mean is 0*(1-p)+ 1(p)= p. Since trials are independent, the mean of n trials is the sum of the means of each: np) the second half of the page derives the variance in the same way.

9. Mar 23, 2006 #8
    ok thanx , I got hold of that idea.

One more thing , can u pls tell me how ot solve this thing:

[tex]\Sum_{i=0}^n _nC_i i^2 p^i (1-p)^{n-i}[/tex]

I am interested to know this.!

10. May 7, 2006 #9
    More detail please?

Hi, I think that web page is too trivial. Do you know a more detail page? Thanks!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook