What Does 'I' Represent in the Moment Formula and How Does Tug of War Relate to Physics?

• Thread starter Red_CCF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary: If you pull on the rope where the ends have been cut, you will have less tension because the ends no longer have the ability to store energy. When you cut the rope, the ends are now free to swing and the rope has more potential energy.
Red_CCF
Hi, I've been learning about moment and there's a lot of things I don't understand

First, in the formula moment = I * alpha, what does I represent and how do we calculate it? All the formulas that I've seen are defined as M = Fr.

Also, I'm wondering, if, say, two people are playing tug of war, they are leaning back. Why must a person lean back to exert force? Also, as they are leaning back, how does couples of moments relate to the fact that they don't start spinning?

I have another problem regarding tension. What is the definition of tension exactly and how do we determine which direction it goes (ex. a rock is hanging on the rope, i know that tension goes up, but why)? Also, when the two people are pulling a rope and both are exerting 100N of force, why is the tension of the rope 100N and not 200n or 0 N

Thanks for any help that you can provide

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I is the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_of_inertia" , a body's resistance to rotating due to a moment.

Your other questions will become clear, I think, if you look into how to construct a free body diagram (check any statics book) and how to use static equilibrium equations (e.g., the sum of the forces in the x-direction is zero, etc.).

Last edited by a moderator:
Red_CCF said:
Hi, I've been learning about moment and there's a lot of things I don't understand

First, in the formula moment = I * alpha, what does I represent and how do we calculate it? All the formulas that I've seen are defined as M = Fr.

Unless I misunderstand your first formula, what you wrote is incorrect- the torque is equal to I*alpha. The moment equation M=Fr is close to a torque=(Fr*sin(angle between the two)), but in your context 'moment' can be considered a more sophisiticated version of torque.

Red_CCF said:
Also, I'm wondering, if, say, two people are playing tug of war, they are leaning back. Why must a person lean back to exert force? Also, as they are leaning back, how does couples of moments relate to the fact that they don't start spinning?

Have you ever played tug-of-war? Or pulled on anything heavy? You need to lean back for a few reasons: one, to engage your leg muscles and take the strain off your lower back, and two, by getting lower than the other person gives you additional mechanical advantage. You don't spin becasue of the ground.

Red_CCF said:
I have another problem regarding tension. What is the definition of tension exactly and how do we determine which direction it goes (ex. a rock is hanging on the rope, i know that tension goes up, but why)? Also, when the two people are pulling a rope and both are exerting 100N of force, why is the tension of the rope 100N and not 200n or 0 N

Thanks for any help that you can provide

The best explanation of tension I ever got was posted here (I forget by whom, sorry)- in order to understand tension in a rope, simply cut the rope. What happens to the ends of the rope? Does it matter where you cut the rope?

1. What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium refers to a system in which all forces acting on an object are balanced and the object is at rest. Dynamic equilibrium, on the other hand, refers to a system in which the object is moving at a constant velocity with all forces balanced.

2. What is the relationship between force and acceleration?

According to Newton's second law of motion, force is directly proportional to acceleration. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be.

3. How does friction affect motion?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. It can either slow down or stop an object in motion or prevent an object from starting to move. It is caused by the roughness of surfaces and the interlocking of molecules.

4. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. Potential energy, on the other hand, is the energy an object has due to its position or state, such as gravitational potential energy or elastic potential energy.

5. How do different forces interact with each other?

Forces can interact with each other in different ways, depending on their direction and magnitude. They can cancel each other out or combine to create a net force. In some cases, forces can also act at different points on an object and cause rotation or torque.