1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some more p-Sylow subgroups and Normalizers

1. Dec 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let G be a finite group, H a normal subgroup of G and B a p-Sylow subgroup of H for some p dividing |H|.

1. Let q be a prime dividing |G|, q != p, Q be a q-Sylow subgroup of G. Prove that Q acts on B by conjugation.
    2. Let Q' be the image of Q in G/H, show that if |Q'|=|Q| then KxB is (isomorphic to) a subgroup of G, where K is a kernel of the action in (1).
    3. Suppose Q is normal in G, does that imply that the image of KxB in G/H is normal in G/H?

2. Relevant equations

The standard theory of the Sylow theorems.
    In the previous parts of the question morphism here helped me prove that G=HN_G(B) where N_G(B) is the normalizer of B in G, and that G/H is isomorphic to N_G(B)/N_H(B)

3. The attempt at a solution

(1) Actually, I think there must be some mistake in the question. For Q to act on B we need that Q be a subset of the normalizer of B in G, and that doesn't seem to be the case. It might be that I'm missing something here...

(2) This would imply that the intersection of Q and H is trivial, but I'm not sure how K would "look like" to gain intuition on how this could unfold.

(3) I think not, but if I could present G as some direct product that might give me a reason why.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?