Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Some more p-Sylow subgroups and Normalizers

1. Dec 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let G be a finite group, H a normal subgroup of G and B a p-Sylow subgroup of H for some p dividing |H|.

1. Let q be a prime dividing |G|, q != p, Q be a q-Sylow subgroup of G. Prove that Q acts on B by conjugation.
    2. Let Q' be the image of Q in G/H, show that if |Q'|=|Q| then KxB is (isomorphic to) a subgroup of G, where K is a kernel of the action in (1).
    3. Suppose Q is normal in G, does that imply that the image of KxB in G/H is normal in G/H?

2. Relevant equations

The standard theory of the Sylow theorems.
    In the previous parts of the question morphism here helped me prove that G=HN_G(B) where N_G(B) is the normalizer of B in G, and that G/H is isomorphic to N_G(B)/N_H(B)

3. The attempt at a solution

(1) Actually, I think there must be some mistake in the question. For Q to act on B we need that Q be a subset of the normalizer of B in G, and that doesn't seem to be the case. It might be that I'm missing something here...

(2) This would imply that the intersection of Q and H is trivial, but I'm not sure how K would "look like" to gain intuition on how this could unfold.

(3) I think not, but if I could present G as some direct product that might give me a reason why.

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted