Was Samuel Alito a Member of a Controversial Conservative Group at Princeton?

• News
  • Thread starter rachmaninoff
  • Start date
In summary, Judge Samuel Alito has recently been revealed as a member of the conservative reactionary group, "Concerned Alumni of Princeton." This group was founded in 1972, the year that Alito graduated, and was upset about Princeton's decision to admit women. The group published a magazine called Prospect and frequently accused the administration of promoting birth control and diluting the Christian character of the school. Concerned Alumni also criticized the growing number of minority students being admitted, claiming that it lowered admission standards and favored certain groups over alumni children. Alito has also faced questions about his recusal practices and potential conflicts of interest, including a case involving the Vanguard Group, in which he ruled in their favor. He initially stated that he would disqual
rachmaninoff
Just revealed that Sameul Alito was a member of the conservative reactionary group, "Concerned Alumni of Princeton":

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/27/p...en=73f5b25a1f719890&ei=5094&partner=homepage"
The group had been founded in 1972, the year that Judge Alito graduated, by alumni upset that Princeton had recently begun admitting women. It published a magazine, Prospect, which persistently accused the administration of taking a permissive approach to student life, of promoting birth control and paying for abortions, and of diluting the explicitly Christian character of the school.

As Princeton admitted a growing number of minority students, Concerned Alumni charged repeatedly that the administration was lowering admission standards, undermining the university's distinctive traditions and admitting too few children of alumni. "Currently alumni children comprise 14 percent of each entering class, compared with an 11 percent quota for blacks and Hispanics," the group wrote in a 1985 fund-raising letter sent to all Princeton graduates.
(emphases added)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You know, when I enter a thread entitled "Some of Alito's views," I kind of expect to see something either written or said by Alito, or perhaps a ruling of his.

This one might be worth discussing

WASHINGTON - Judge Samuel Alito has said he did not break a federal ethics law when he ruled in a case involving the company that handles his mutual fund investments.

Legal experts are divided over whether Alito did anything wrong in the case three years ago. Of more immediate concern is his explanation of his role in that case - along with questions about what his recusal practices will be if confirmed to the high court.

Alito reported holdings of about $80,000 in Vanguard funds in 1990. Last year, he reported shares in 14 Vanguard Group mutual funds, worth $455,000 to $1 million.

$455,000 to $1 million: That is a really profitable investement firm. Does this mean Hizzoner dozen't know exactly how much he has invested in a company which he made a leagal ruling on?

http://www.theeagle.com/stories/112605/nation_20051126007.php

In 1990, when Alito was seeking US Senate approval for his nomination to be a circuit judge, he said in written answers to a questionnaire that he would disqualify himself from ''any cases involving the Vanguard companies."

After Alito ruled in Vanguard's favor in the Maharaj case, he complained about her efforts to vacate his decision and remove him from the case, writing to the chief administrative judge of the federal appeals court on which he sat in 2003: ''I do not believe that I am required to disqualify myself based on my ownership of the mutual fund shares."

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2005/11/03/plaintiff_alleges_alito_conflict/

The delima here is that Alito can not own an interest in a company on which he make a ruling. Alito says that he only owns shares in Vanguard. Vanguard says that it is owned by it's shareholders.

loseyourname said:
You know, when I enter a thread entitled "Some of Alito's views," I kind of expect to see something either written or said by Alito, or perhaps a ruling of his.
Here is a quote from 1985.
"I am and always have been a conservative and an adherent to the same philosophical views that I believe are central to this administration."
From the same document.
"I am particularly proud of my contributions in recent cases in which the government has argued in the Supreme Court that racial and ethnic quotas should not be allowed and that the Constitution does not protect a right to abortion."

edward said:
The delima here is that Alito can not own an interest in a company on which he make a ruling. Alito says that he only owns shares in Vanguard. Vanguard says that it is owned by it's shareholders.
He specifically said in his confirmation hearing that he would recuse hinself in any case regarding Vanguard.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2005/11/03/plaintiff_alleges_alito_conflict/

In 1990, when Alito was seeking US Senate approval for his nomination to be a circuit judge, he said in written answers to a questionnaire that he would disqualify himself from ''any cases involving the Vanguard companies."

His problem is credibility.

He now says that his 1985 statements were because he was applying for a job?

Isn't that what he is doing now?

I don't have a link for his statements about the 1985 memo when his opinion is the constitution does not protect a womans sovereignty over her own body.

I don't trust this guy at all.

1. Was Samuel Alito a member of a controversial conservative group at Princeton?

Yes, Samuel Alito was a member of the conservative group, the Concerned Alumni of Princeton (CAP) during his time at Princeton University.

2. What was the purpose of the Concerned Alumni of Princeton (CAP)?

The Concerned Alumni of Princeton was formed in 1972 by a group of conservative alumni who were concerned about the direction of the university. They aimed to promote traditional values and preserve the university's conservative traditions.

3. Did Samuel Alito actively participate in the activities of CAP?

According to a 1985 article in the Princeton Alumni Weekly, Alito was not an active member of CAP. However, he did list his membership in the group on his job application for the Reagan administration.

4. Did CAP have any controversial views or actions?

Yes, CAP was known for advocating against affirmative action and for promoting traditional gender roles and values. They also faced criticism for their lack of diversity and exclusion of certain groups, such as women and minority students.

5. How has Alito's involvement with CAP affected his career as a Supreme Court justice?

Alito's membership in CAP has been a topic of controversy and has been brought up during his confirmation hearings for the Supreme Court. However, it does not seem to have had a significant impact on his career as a justice, as he has been a consistent conservative voice on the court.

Back