Organic Compounds: Hydrolysis, Oxidation & Structural Formulas

• Thread starter Pseudo Statistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Organic
In summary: The reason for showing the charge is to accurately represent the chemical structure and properties of the compound.
Pseudo Statistic
This question came up on one of our worksheets:
A fruity compount A (C2H4O2) is hydrolysed by distilled H2SO4 to give B and C (CH2O2). C reacts with Mg to yield H2 and compound D. B is oxidised to form methanoic acid. Give the structural formula and reaction. Name A, B, C and D.

The solution ends up giving the reaction:
2CH2O2 + Mg -> [HCO(O-)]2 Mg2+ (Drawn as an ester except the single bonded O is shown to be negatively charged) + H2

I just thought I'd ask... can someone tell me why we're allowed to show the charge here?
The reason I post this not in the homework section is because I want some pointers on where I can look to begin to understand this kind of stuff, rather than just getting help for answering the question.

Thank you for any replies.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Pseudo Statistic said:
The solution ends up giving the reaction:
2CH2O2 + Mg -> [HCO(O-)]2 Mg2+ (Drawn as an ester except the single bonded O is shown to be negatively charged) + H2

I just thought I'd ask... can someone tell me why we're allowed to show the charge here?
[HCO(O-)]2 Mg2+ is not an ester; it is a salt of a carboxylic acid (or a carboxylate). And the charges are specified to indicate that it is a fairly ionic salt.

The reason we are allowed to show the charge in this reaction is because it is a representation of the actual chemical reaction that occurs. When a compound reacts with another, there is often a transfer of electrons, resulting in the formation of charged species. In this case, the Mg atom gains two electrons from the two CH2O2 molecules, resulting in a positively charged Mg2+ ion. The negative charge on the oxygen atom in the ester group indicates that it has gained an extra electron, making it negatively charged. This representation is important in understanding the mechanism of the reaction and the formation of the products.

To begin to understand this type of chemistry, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic chemistry concepts such as atomic structure, bonding, and reactions. You can also look into specific topics such as organic chemistry, which deals with the structure and properties of carbon-containing compounds. There are many online resources, textbooks, and even videos available that can help you grasp these concepts. Additionally, practicing problems and working through examples can also greatly enhance your understanding. Don't be afraid to ask questions and seek help from your teacher or peers if needed. With dedication and persistence, you can definitely improve your understanding of organic compounds and their reactions.

1. What are organic compounds?

Organic compounds are molecules that contain carbon and are found in living organisms. They are essential for life and have a wide range of functions, such as providing energy, building cells and tissues, and regulating biological processes.

2. What is hydrolysis and how does it affect organic compounds?

Hydrolysis is a chemical reaction in which a compound is broken down into smaller molecules by the addition of water. This can affect organic compounds by breaking them down into simpler molecules, which can impact their structure and function.

3. What is oxidation and how does it occur in organic compounds?

Oxidation is a chemical reaction in which a molecule loses electrons. In organic compounds, oxidation can occur through the addition of oxygen or the removal of hydrogen atoms. This process can alter the chemical properties of the compound and may result in the formation of new molecules.

4. What are structural formulas and why are they important in organic chemistry?

Structural formulas are diagrams that show the arrangement of atoms in a molecule and the bonds between them. They are important in organic chemistry because they provide a visual representation of a compound's structure, which can help scientists understand its properties and reactions.

5. How do hydrolysis and oxidation play a role in the digestion of organic compounds in the body?

Hydrolysis and oxidation are both essential processes in the digestion of organic compounds in the body. Hydrolysis breaks down complex molecules, such as carbohydrates, proteins, and fats, into smaller molecules that can be absorbed and used by the body. Oxidation then occurs to further break down these molecules and release energy for cellular processes.