1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some Organic thing

1. Sep 2, 2006 #1
    This question came up on one of our worksheets:
    A fruity compount A (C2H4O2) is hydrolysed by distilled H2SO4 to give B and C (CH2O2). C reacts with Mg to yield H2 and compound D. B is oxidised to form methanoic acid. Give the structural formula and reaction. Name A, B, C and D.

The solution ends up giving the reaction:
    2CH2O2 + Mg -> [HCO(O-)]2 Mg2+ (Drawn as an ester except the single bonded O is shown to be negatively charged) + H2

I just thought I'd ask... can someone tell me why we're allowed to show the charge here?
    The reason I post this not in the homework section is because I want some pointers on where I can look to begin to understand this kind of stuff, rather than just getting help for answering the question.

Thank you for any replies.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2006 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[HCO(O-)]2 Mg2+ is not an ester; it is a salt of a carboxylic acid (or a carboxylate). And the charges are specified to indicate that it is a fairly ionic salt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?