Some Particular Forces

• Thread starter mike_24
  • Start date
A block with a weight of 3.0N is at rest on a horizontal surface. A 1.0N upward force is being applied to the block by means of an attached vertical string. What are the magnitude and the direction of the force of the block on the horizontal surface? I was wondering what it meant by the attached vertical string, is the string attached to the top of the block and then to a ceiling?

Answers and Replies

radou
Homework Helper
mike_24 said:
I was wondering what it meant by the attached vertical string, is the string attached to the top of the block and then to a ceiling?

Yes, that makes sense.

This seems like a very easy problem, if I'm approaching it properly. You would have your 3.0N down as your mg and the T would be 1.0N up. Would that mean that the megnitude would be 2.0N downward as a final answer?

Newtons to Pounds

I was just wondering how you convert newtons to pounds
If any one knows this it would be muchly appreciated
Thanks

radou
Homework Helper
mike_24 said:
This seems like a very easy problem, if I'm approaching it properly. You would have your 3.0N down as your mg and the T would be 1.0N up. Would that mean that the megnitude would be 2.0N downward as a final answer?

Yes, that is the correct answer.

Sadly, I can't help about the conversion question, but I'm 100% sure that you could google-up an answer in any time.