1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some Particular Forces

1. Oct 23, 2006 #1
    A block with a weight of 3.0N is at rest on a horizontal surface. A 1.0N upward force is being applied to the block by means of an attached vertical string. What are the magnitude and the direction of the force of the block on the horizontal surface? I was wondering what it meant by the attached vertical string, is the string attached to the top of the block and then to a ceiling?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

Yes, that makes sense.

4. Oct 23, 2006 #3
    This seems like a very easy problem, if I'm approaching it properly. You would have your 3.0N down as your mg and the T would be 1.0N up. Would that mean that the megnitude would be 2.0N downward as a final answer?

5. Oct 23, 2006 #4
    Newtons to Pounds

I was just wondering how you convert newtons to pounds
    If any one knows this it would be muchly appreciated
    Thanks

6. Oct 23, 2006 #5

radou

Homework Helper

Yes, that is the correct answer.

Sadly, I can't help about the conversion question, but I'm 100% sure that you could google-up an answer in any time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?