Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some Physicist Trivia

1. May 18, 2007 #1
    I don't know if this is the right place to post it but I'm doing it.

I remember reading a bio on someone who earned a physics Ph.D at Cambridge without having a bachelor's degree. I think he got into the program by impressing Einstein or some prominent physicist by exchanging ideas by mail.

Does this person seem familliar to anyone?

I've tried Google and I just keep getting Jane Goodall.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2007 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

John Moffat.

What about the physicist who: received a Bachelor's in Mathematics from Cambridge; became a professor at the Princeton Institute for Advanced Studies, but never got a Ph.D.; possibly should have won a Nobel Prize in physics, but missed out becauzse at most three person can share the Nobel?
  4. May 18, 2007 #3
    I have an M.A. in math with no Bachelor's. I didn't impress Einstein. What happened was that I was an undergraduate at Rutgers and finished all of the math courses that they offered, but did not have enough credits to graduate. I asked if I could take graduate math courses for undergraduate credit. When they said yes, I then went to Temple U. and told them what Rutgers had said. Then I asked if I could just be accepted into their graduate program. They said that if I got a perfect score in the GMAT math test (not the generic one, but the specialized one) they would accept me. I did not get a perfect score, but it was close. For what reason I cannot guess, they didn't say that I couldn't attend because of my score, they said I couldn't attend because they had no fellowship for me. I said I would pay and they said I was in. After the first semester, someone dropped out and they gave me his fellowship.
  5. May 18, 2007 #4
    Now, that's some mathematician trivia. :rolleyes:
  6. May 18, 2007 #5
    True, the story interests me more than it does others. There's a game where you tell two truths and one lie about yourself and others have to guess which is the lie. This is always picked as the lie.
  7. May 28, 2007 #6
    Thanks. That's exactly who I was looking for.

The person you're describing is Freeman Dyson.
  8. May 28, 2007 #7
    Are you sure you didn't mean the GRE math test? As far as I know there is no specialized GMAT test for math and the math portion of the GMAT is so simple that I don't know how you could prove you know enough for graduate school with it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?