Need Help with a Physics Problem - Calculating Height of Falling Particle

• Thread starter Skyblitz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for help with a problem involving a falling particle and the total height of the fall. They have tried using equations and other methods, but have not been successful. They also ask for clarification on the concept of instantaneous velocity on a position-time graph. Ultimately, they receive help and are able to solve the problem.
Skyblitz
Hi, I'm having a bit of trouble with a problem..

basically the question is as follows:
A particle falling covers 64% of the entire height in its last second of the fall. What is the total height of the fall?

I've tried equating two formulas, and a few other things but I can't seem to go anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

I also need clarification on something.. My teacher said that on a position-time graph, that if there is a portion that has constant velocity (ie, no curve but a straight line), that you can't have instantaneous velocity since you can't draw a tangent to a point.. but I was under the impression that instantaneous velocity was just the velocity and any given point of time?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Skyblitz,

Post your equations which you tried, so we can see if/where there is a problem.

EDIT: Re the instantaneous velocity, you can have one. The subject which covers it is (dum, dum, dum, da!) calculus. Basically, you get the instantaneous velocity by taking two close points, and bringing them closer and closer together, watching what the intersecting line does. As the distance between the points approaches zero, the intersecting line becomes the tangent.

Last edited:
As enigma said, show us what equations you have equated or other things you have done and we will guide you.

Thanks for your help!
Sorry I didn't post the equations as I fell asleep yesterday night after studying [zz)]

But I did, with some help, figure out how to do it.

1. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. In other words, velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

2. How does gravity affect the motion of objects?

Gravity is a force that attracts objects towards each other. It affects the motion of objects by pulling them towards the center of the Earth, causing them to accelerate towards the ground. The strength of the gravitational force depends on the mass of the objects and the distance between them.

3. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its position or condition. In other words, kinetic energy is the energy of movement, while potential energy is the energy of position.

4. How do forces affect the motion of objects?

Forces are responsible for changing the motion of objects. They can cause objects to speed up, slow down, or change direction. The net force acting on an object determines its acceleration, which is the rate of change of its velocity.

5. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, while weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational force. In other words, weight is directly proportional to mass, but also depends on the strength of the gravitational field.