Optimizing Performance of DFB Lasers: Pin Connections and Cooling Considerations

• Thread starter fuyejun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laser
In summary, the conversation discussed the use of a DFB laser for a project and the need for cooling in order for it to function properly. The datasheet provided information on the dimensions and pin connections, with pins 1 and 2 functioned as a thermistor and pins 6 and 7 used for the cooler. The built-in thermistor measures the internal temperature and provides a variable resistance reading to determine the appropriate current output for the cooler. It was noted that the temperature control circuit will be a separate circuit and may require additional components such as op-amps or a pre-made unit. It was also mentioned that for a narrow band wavelength at 1550nm, a cooler is necessary and the thermistor and TEC are built
fuyejun
Hi:

I'm going to buy a DFB laser for my project, when I looked for Datasheet of such kind of laser, They give dimensions and equivalent schematic, and pin connections.

For example: A 14 pin butterfly[NEC LASER DIODE NX8563LA Series], from the datasheet, pin 1 and 2 functions thermistor and pin 6 pin7 are cooler anode and cooler cathode .

So, if I buy this laser ,should I need add resistor and pin 1 and 2. Do I need to buy some TEC module connect to pin 6 and 7 ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I appears that this type requires cooling in order to function properly. And this cooling is accomplished by controlling the current to the built-in cooling circuit. It has a built-in thermistor (measures the lasers internal temperature and provides a variable resistance reading) which you would use to determine what current to provide to the cooler. In other words, you will need to build a circuit to take this thermistor resistance value (temperature) as your input and produces the appropriate current output for the cooler. Probably a few op-amps or maybe an "of the shelf" unit for these types of applications.

Some fiber optics lasers have very controlled wavelengths so that multiple lasers can be transmitted down the same fiber and the signals separated by using optical filters on the receiving end. To ensure that these lasers stay within their designated wavelength, their temperature must be regulated - hence thermoelectric coolers are used.

If you're just using such a laser as a wideband signal source, then there probably isn't a need for the cooler. I'd call the manufacturer.

- Mike

Mike_In_Plano said:
Some fiber optics lasers have very controlled wavelengths so that multiple lasers can be transmitted down the same fiber and the signals separated by using optical filters on the receiving end. To ensure that these lasers stay within their designated wavelength, their temperature must be regulated - hence thermoelectric coolers are used.

If you're just using such a laser as a wideband signal source, then there probably isn't a need for the cooler. I'd call the manufacturer.

- Mike

Hi Mike:

I am using such laser for a narrow band wavelength at 1550nm, So the cooler is needed. Do you know, when datasheet says pin 1 2 functions thermistor. Does it means it inbuilt a thermistor in the module.

-Johnny

You may be right Mike about the temperature not mattering in his application. But I would think that the thing would still get hot and need some kind of cooling to keep it from destroying itself. It does have a rather large operating temperature range. i.e. operating case temperature from −20 to +85°C. And they say one of the cooler current conditions is ΔT = 85 − Tset

Edit: you beat me posting fuyejun so you application does require cooling.

Last edited:
fuyejun said:
Hi Mike:

I am using such laser for a narrow band wavelength at 1550nm, So the cooler is needed. Do you know, when datasheet says pin 1 2 functions thermistor. Does it means it inbuilt a thermistor in the module.

-Johnny
Yes. It's built in and at 25°C it's typically 10kΩ.

dlgoff said:
You may be right Mike about the temperature not mattering in his application. But I would think that the thing would still get hot and need some kind of cooling to keep it from destroying itself. It does have a rather large operating temperature range. i.e. operating case temperature from −20 to +85°C. And they say one of the cooler current conditions is ΔT = 85 − Tset

Edit: you beat me posting fuyejun so you application does require cooling.

Hi Dlgoff:

I am reading a book at library it's named "fiber optics" by Robert j.Hoss at the page 55 there is a figure names conceptual drawing of a packaged laser transmitter. Fiber cable coupled with a laser diode then there is a Back-facet detector ( I think it is a photo detector) then there is a inbuilt thermal sensor( thermal resistor) all of these components are based on a Heat sink( thermoelectric cooler).

To now, I think TEC and thermal resistor are inbuilt. Like you said thermal resistor give a temperature change to control the current which is supply for laser diode. Do you know how the TEC (thermoelectric cooler) contribute for such application. I mean how TEC works?

thanks a lot
Fuyejun

dlgoff said:
I appears that this type requires cooling in order to function properly. And this cooling is accomplished by controlling the current to the built-in cooling circuit. It has a built-in thermistor (measures the lasers internal temperature and provides a variable resistance reading) which you would use to determine what current to provide to the cooler. In other words, you will need to build a circuit to take this thermistor resistance value (temperature) as your input and produces the appropriate current output for the cooler. Probably a few op-amps or maybe an "of the shelf" unit for these types of applications.

From above opinion the thermistor is used to TEC to cooling . So the current for Laser diode is fixed for example 85mA, it will not change.

fuyejun said:
From above opinion the thermistor is used to TEC to cooling . So the current for Laser diode is fixed for example 85mA, it will not change.
Yes. The actual laser current should be fairly constant. The current to the cooler (TEC) however will be constantly changing depending on the chips temperature (measured by the thermistor). As the chip heats up (thermistor resistance increases), your controlling circuit will have to increase the current to the cooler. The opposite happens for a decreasing chip temperature.

The temperature control circuit will be more or less a "stand alone" circuit. For a introduction to temperature control, check out how a PID controller works. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PID_controller"

Last edited by a moderator:
fuyejun said:
So, if I buy this laser ,should I need add resistor and pin 1 and 2. Do I need to buy some TEC module connect to pin 6 and 7 ?

I agree with Dlgoff.
I just want to add that some laser diode controllers have slots for connecting the thermistor (pins 1 and 2) and measuring the temperature.

If the built-in TEC is used, you'll also want to mount the laser on a heat sink.

1. What is a DFB laser?

A DFB (Distributed Feedback) laser is a type of semiconductor laser that uses a grating structure to create a single-mode output. This grating structure is etched into the laser cavity, causing it to emit a narrowband, single-wavelength output.

2. How does a DFB laser work?

A DFB laser works by applying an electric current to the semiconductor material, causing it to emit photons. These photons are then reflected back and forth in the laser cavity, passing through the grating structure multiple times. This results in a single-wavelength output.

3. What are the advantages of using a DFB laser?

DFB lasers have several advantages, including a narrow linewidth, high output power, and high efficiency. They also have a stable and precise output wavelength, making them useful in applications such as telecommunications and optical sensing.

4. What are the applications of DFB lasers?

DFB lasers are commonly used in telecommunications, particularly in fiber optic communication systems. They are also used in optical sensing applications, such as gas detection and environmental monitoring. Additionally, DFB lasers can be found in medical equipment, barcode scanners, and laser printers.

5. How does a DFB laser differ from other types of lasers?

Unlike other types of lasers, such as Fabry-Perot or VCSEL, DFB lasers have a single-mode output and a grating structure in the laser cavity. This allows for a more stable and precise output wavelength. DFB lasers also have a narrower linewidth and higher output power compared to other types of lasers.