Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some question about limits

1. Jul 17, 2015 #1
    Hi guys...i'm a little naive...i encountered the limit of this function:

Sin(x^-1) x

as the x goes to infinity...in order to study it i know that i have to find the Taylor series about the function Sin(t) centered in 0 having defined t=(x^-1)...something called asymptotical expansion of Sin(x^-1). The fact is that i have not found this technique or the theory behind this so called "asymptotical expansion" in any book! So i was asking of somebody can help me about this with some explanation or some material! thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

Asymptotic expansion is a process where you expand a function about its limit.
    In ## x \sin \frac1x ## with a large x, you have one large term and one small term, so asymptotic expansion is one good way to understand the behavior of the function for large x.
    A quick search pulls up plenty of resources. One that looks reasonably explanatory is http://www.math.ubc.ca/~feldman/m321/asymptotic.pdf.

4. Jul 17, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You should know that [itex]\lim_{\theta\to 0} \frac{sin(\theta)}{\theta}= 0[/itex]. That is the same as saying that, for small [itex]\theta[/itex], [itex]sin(\theta)[/itex] is approximately equal to [itex]\theta[/itex] and the approximation gets better the smaller [itex]\theta[/itex] is. As x goes to infinity, [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] goes to 0 so [itex]\lim_{x\to \infty} x sin(1/x)= \lim_{\theta\to 0}\frac{sin(\theta)}{\theta}= 1[/itex].

5. Jul 17, 2015 #4
    Ok, thanks for the reply...for example...how can i find the asymptotic series for Ln(1/Sqrt(1 + x)) ?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  6. Jul 17, 2015 #5

RUber

Homework Helper

I would go to wolframalpha.com and type in "series ln(1/(sqrt(1+x)))".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook